PDA

View Full Version : more galavanting around coastal NC

Digger
11-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I decided when I got up this morning to hop on the scooter and head down towards coastal NC. Over a cup of joe I looked at the map to put a few route numbers and vague directions in my head and then stuffed it in my jacket and decided not to look at it again unless I became completely lost. The general gameplan was to ride until I arrived at water. Coffee and cereal happily in my gullet I sauntered into the garage and rolled up the door at about half past 6. I immediately watched my breath exhale from my mouth and said, "uhhh". I scratched myself in that distant manner when you are thinking of nothing in particular except how to avoid whats coming next. I turned around half expecting to see some guardian angel there saying "oh don't go yet it's too cold". So I made a face and started the bike. She started immediately as if to say, 'lets go you *****'. So I put on the chaps, found the neck warmer, found the winter weight gauntlet gloves, and got "leathered up" and hit the road.

Holy shrinkage batman :eek: was it cold. I stopped at the Dismal Swap Canal rest area (pics) off hwy 17 to whiz and circulate blood to my extremities.

Thankfully it warmed up as I pressed on and lo and behold I found water. (pic) From there I meandered about the coast and eventually found my way back.

None of it sucked. :)

Formula Jr
11-07-2004, 04:19 PM
The True Biker!

Yes, none of it sucks!

Unless you're running the 198 in California and the temp is 105. Then Ummmm. It sucks.

gcarter
11-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a good day Digger!
Has anyone here run through the Dismal Swamp Canal?
I remember reading about it.
:wavey:

Digger
11-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Owen I hear you, in a perverse way I would rather be cold than hot on a bike. There are always more clothes to put on , electric vests, rest stops in a heated diner.... But heat... I did three years in Yuma AZ, we viewed it as a man test to ride all summer. When it's 118, you can't take off any more clothes (in fact you're cooler leaving them on and dumping water on yourself aka human swamp cooler)... when its like a hair dryer in the face its just miserable... don't think I'll be signing up to live there again.

George the Dismal Swamp Canal is a favorite of sailboaters and trawler folks. It's 22 miles of no wake, connecting the Elizabeth River out of Norfolk/Chesapeake with the Albermarle sound to the south. Other folks who dont want to idle that long take other branches of the intercoastal that have less slow time. But it sure is scenic, and historic... surveyed by G Washington... fed by Lake Drummond, its depth is maintained at 6' +/- a few inches by a system of locks, dams, and sluices. The water is dark hued and sometimes foamy on top because of the high tannin content. It's not poluted with phosphate as some will mistakenly claim when they see the foam. 18th and 19th century sailors would carry barrels of this water over trans atlantic crossings, because after months of being sealed in a barrel it's still potable... Really a neat stretch... as long as the go-fast itch isn't itching.

MissRepublican
11-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Matthew, you are wicked smaht .:biggrin:

I wish I could have been there...no swamps in Kansas.

The water cask thing; was that in "Master & Commander?"

gcarter
11-07-2004, 06:39 PM
I hate to interupt you two, but I feel I must.
As some of you may know "Master and Commander" was from parts of two of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series of books on the British Navy in the Napoleonic Wars.
This is a PHENOMINAL series of books, all 17 (I think) of them.
I heartily reccomend reading ALL of them.
If you like the sea, and are interested in history, you GOTTA read these books. :biggrin:

Digger
11-07-2004, 07:05 PM
:biggrin: George, there's 20. read 'em all. Greatest series of books I ever had the pleasure to read.

Darcy I wish you were there too. Ahm thinkin we need to get you your own scooter... how fun would that be??

MissRepublican
11-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Darcy I wish you were there too. Ahm thinkin we need to get you your own scooter... how fun would that be??
Errr...I can wreck a Honda 90, remember? Perhaps I should just meet you at the halfway point in something with a lid...

Forrest
11-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a good day Digger!
Has anyone here run through the Dismal Swamp Canal?
I remember reading about it.
:wavey:

Believe it or not, when I was a kid and lived in Virginia Beach, we took a 1963 14' Sears Elgin runabout with a 45hp Elgin outboard from the North Landing bridge up the George Washington canal through the Great Bridge locks to Elizabeth River, then thorugh the Deep Creek locks all the way down the Dismal Swamp canal through South Mills to Elizabeth City. What a fantastic trip! The water was so much like glass the you couldn't tell where the water ended and trees at the shore line begain. It wasn't a stinkin' no wake zone back then, so we were up on a plane most of the time. The next day we headed back to North Landing by way of Coinjock through Albermarle and Currituck sounds. That's one to do again!

Team Jefe
11-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Great Story Digger, thanks for sharing