PDA

View Full Version : nice little day trip today

Digger
11-06-2004, 04:49 PM
took the scooter on a nice ride today down to Nags Head NC. nice photo op at the place where Orville and Wilbur tinkered around with their crazy machine. :rlol: It was sunny today, temps in the low 60's. A little chilly for boating but perfect fer puttin' :cool!:

Cuda
11-06-2004, 06:19 PM
What model is that Digger? I just bought my first HD, but it needs just a touch of TLC. I rounded up the parts yesterday.

txtaz
11-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Cuda, I believe it's a Road King. If you need help with your HD give a shout. I can help a little. I have the shop do everything for mine to retain value. We have done stage 3's on two bikes so far. BTW, get a side car for the misses or kids, they are a blast to ride in and not too hard to put on and take off.

Digger, We went house hunting today on our bike. We had great weather also. Sunny, mid to high 60's. After looking at your 10th house it gets a little mundain so riding the bike took some of the sting out of the chore. Only drawback was our real estate agent which we were following was in too much of a hurry to enjoy the scenery. But after the last house we parted ways and took a nice cruise home through Scenic Loop Road where George Straight has his horse ranch. George Carter probably knows this road.
Keep the rubber side down.
Wes and Jennifer

Cuda
11-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Wes, mine is a 95 softail. It had old gas in the tank and carb, so I removed the tank to get to the carb. I turned the tank upside down on a five gallon bucket to drain it. Apparently, gas and clear coat don't mix. It bubbled the cc. I sanded it off and painted it myself, but I'm not real happy with it. I took it to a painter and he quoted me $300 to paint the tank! Heck, I can sneeze that much paint at one time. I'll sand it down and take another shot at painting it myself before turning it over to the pros. In the meantime, I wanted to get new breather bolts. The guy at the Harley shop sold me two different ones telling me they replaced it. They were the wrong ones, but meanwhile since I didn't think I needed the old bolts, I lost one. I spent all day yesterday in Daytona hunting down the part. I figured if I couldn't find it within a mile radius of Daytona Harley, the part didn't exist! I got it at Arlen Ness. I can't wait to get it on the road. The last bike I had, I was 18 and it was a 175 Yamaha. :)

Digger
11-06-2004, 08:37 PM
looks deceiving now, but she is actually an FLHTC, (Electra Glide) 1993. A few years back I took off the trunk, chopped the windshield, and went with a solo seat. Then more recently went with Performance Machine rims, brakes, and rotors; S&S carb, Andrews cam, and Thunderheader exhaust. Lots of fun and comfortable enough to ride all day.

Wes, sounds like a nice day. If your realtor had been on a bike he/she would have slowed down to enjoy it too!

Weather tomorrow is supposed to be a carbon copy of today.... hmmm what to do... ;)

Darrell
11-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Digger,

Great looking ride, sure looks like it's extra clean.

Cuda,

Love the pipes on the bike, great looking ride also.

Darrell

Digger
11-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Cuda, shaweet! good luck with that! looking forward to seeing end result! :smile:

thx Darrell, she gets pretty filthy at times but I usually catch up with it

gcarter
11-06-2004, 09:04 PM
But after the last house we parted ways and took a nice cruise home through Scenic Loop Road where George Straight has his horse ranch. George Carter probably knows this road.
Keep the rubber side down.
Wes and Jennifer
Why yes I do!
That's where Grey Moss Inn is, the best steak house in Texas!
I didn't know that's where George Strait was though.
They've put in 25 MPH speed limit signs, which helps you enjoy the scenery, unless it's dark after a great meal, and all you want to do is get back to your hotel room.
BTW, last year Elaine and I flew to SA, rented a jeep and drove to Big Bend National Park where we spent a week in the Basin.
We got back to SA just in time for opening night of the Wurst Fest, Happy Day!

BUIZILLA
11-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Dig, I had a '97 FLHRI Road King, same red metallic color, same rims, no fairing, same brakes, same header, double seat though.... kinda miss that bike. I put more miles on it than any scooter i've ever owned.

JH :moped:

txtaz
11-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Joe, I think my memory is failing me at the ripe old age of 42. I remember now when you posted about your new bike. She is nice. Sorry to hear about your tank. BTW, I think the Daytona Harley shop is one of the biggest if not the biggest. We now have 2 shops here in the SA area plus one in Austin.

Digger, Yep you fooled me. Except for the faring it looks just like Dad's '94 Road King. We have a '98 Road King with side car, and Dad also has a '03 Ultra. Talk about a Cadillac on 2 wheels. About the only thing you could add to that is the beverage holder or cd holder.

George, The Grey Moss Inn? We saw it several times and thought it was a bed and breakfast. The best steak house in Texas? I know where we are having dinner tonight. Thanks for the tip.
Yeah Georger Strait has one of the best horse ranches here called the "The Rose" or something close to that. It is in Leon Springs going towards Boerne about 10 miles past the Grey Moss Inn. He also built a resturant on the corner and leases it out. Nice place called The Scenic Loop Cafe. His offices are in Leon Springs right behind the HEB. Funny how realtors seem to know what everybody is doing. Next time your in the area, look us up. You are welcome to stay in the guest room that we will soon be purchasing along with the rest of the house. :shades:
Wes and Jennifer

Team Jefe
11-08-2004, 08:34 AM
A little chilly for boating but perfect fer puttin' :cool!:

Looks great Digs.....but too cold for boating, Man you gotta come south.

We had mid 70's, no wind, and searched all weekend for a cloud without finding a one.

two top-shelf days of boating Clear Lake and Galveston Bay, calm waters...by myself I pushed Jefe's Revenge to just over 60 MPH (remember its a fishing boat), then made some radical 180's with foam flying up everywhere :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

I even got to show a few new folks in our crew just how great a big Donzi handles....they too think I'm nuts :bonk:

LOL though, on the water, on the road, in the air, looking for houses or looking to loose yourself....when the great days come we have to grab hold and squeeze every bit outta 'em we can.