PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Powerplay 19

schlif
11-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I have located a used 1990 19' Powerplay which looks suspicioulsy like the Classic 18's and 20's. Can anyone provide me with information regarding this model of Powerplay as well as details of any unique problems they may have.

tamburello
11-05-2004, 12:50 PM
I believe that you are referring to the Powerplay 185XLT as it bears the closest resemblance to the Donzi 18 Classic. The 185XLT was the first boat model produced by Powerplay and they were in production throughout the 80s. I have a few friends that own or have owned 185XLTs and they are a decent boat. Incidentally, I live about 5 minutes from the Powerquest (formerly named Powerplay) factory.

The 185XLT looks very similar to the 18 Classic but it does have a few differences including a bit more beam and higher freeboard. The 185XLT has a sharp keel all the way back to the transom much like the Donzi 18 barrelback which gives it slightly different ride characteristics from the more recent 18 Classics with the rounded keel. With the additional freeboard the 185XLT will give a marginally drier rough water ride but from my experiences they both have a very similar ride and will be headed for the trailer at about the same time when the water gets torn up.

As far as speed I have raced more than my share of 185XLTs with my '94 18 with a 250 pshp 350 mag. I always lose against my friends 185 with a 420 hp injected 383 and I can walk away from my aunts 185 with a Merc 260 mag.

If you're looking at getting one be sure to check for rotten coring in the floor and saturated foam in the hull. My cousins ended up ripping out a ton of water logged foam from under the floor of their 185. Most of them came with SBC/Alpha1 combos and the ones around here get plenty of air time so I'd give a good look at the drive.

- Jeff

tamburello
11-05-2004, 02:38 PM
I believe that the Powerplay 185XLT is from the same molds as the 19 Baron, so maybe baddassbaron can answer some questions as he seems quite proud of the hull.

- Jeff

schlif
11-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Jeff,
Many thanks for the information. This boat is located in Southern Ontario where we store boats for eight months of the year and most do not do a very good job of it. I suspect all of the problems you mentioned exist with this boat given the offer price of $8,000.CAD. Given the recent revival of our currency (.83USD) I think I am better off looking for an 18 or 20 out of the States, preferably fresh water.
Again many thanks.

David

baddassbaron
11-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Tamburello
Nice job for descripton of 185xlt ! The 185xlt mold did come from baron and at first when used boat was pretty decent but things started to change by moving gas tank around and a couple other hull changes. Never road like a baron again. Still a very decent boat though.
And yes, I am proud of the boat. Kids will eventually inherit, but with motor improvements. Hope to see ya out in a Great Lake St. Clair ride.

baronmarine
11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
powerplay took some lenth out of the boat. made the cockpit bigger. move the fuel tank to the front and put some hook in the bottom. watch out for the floors and hatch areas.a few of my friends still have powerplays they are fun, great when they are low on fuel!!

hey b.a.baron hope to see you on the west coast this next summer lots of good boating on lake mi. i hope to start restoreing mine this winter.