PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhhh, winter in Florida....

Jamesbon
11-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Yes, family, last weekend sucked!! ;)

Fish boy
11-04-2004, 07:25 AM
ah yesssss, my home away from home :D :D

Mr X
11-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Nate, nice looking HOOKER!

Digger
11-04-2004, 07:31 AM
ohhh man.... how much did that not suck? what was the reading on the non-suckometer? :biggrin.:

boxy
11-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Does Chuckie Cheese know you stole his patio umbrella ???

Don't pay any attention to me, it's 31F here this morning, and it is supposed to snow tonight, oh well I'll see sand and grass again in 6 months :banghead: :cussball: :banghead:

Nate the boat looks great, and the location looks fantastic ...

Cuda
11-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Nate, I don't know how you do it. That water is getting cold. The last time I checked, it was down to 75 or so.

Donzigo
11-04-2004, 08:44 AM
.....color me infor next weekend at Shell Island........dang, it might be really cold ...........(maybe 70 degrees)............; but, I'm going anyway......burrrrrrrrrrr

RickSE
11-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Winter in Flagstaff Arizona, from last week.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7427

Shanghied Again
11-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Rain and 41 degees here in NJ, just got back from Ft Lauderdale 89 degrees.. this bites. Hey Boxy and Rick I feel your pain brothers (COLD WEATHER BITES :bawling: )

RickR
11-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Jamesbon
The GT is never going to be done if you spend all your time at the beach :rolleyes:

I'll be out in the gulf about 150 miles NW of you next week. I'll wave :hyper:

mattyboy
11-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Fla ain't so bad looking when you not looking thru plywood windows :tongue:

MissRepublican
11-04-2004, 09:21 PM
*Sigh* No fair.

It's 36 windy degrees here in "flyover country," America's breadbasket, and I'm still at the office at 9:00 pm. No water in sight, no tan left, and no yellow brick road.

The good news is that I'm not in Flagstaff, where that picture was taken.

Speed-Racer
11-04-2004, 10:04 PM
I agree with Ted :bonk: What's up with the GT?

Donzigo
11-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Mattyboy, OK, so we boarded up 4 times the first time in years. The view is pretty fine.........no snow in sight all year long.......last year, Donzigo Jr. was skiing on Christmas Day.

(I"m trying not to lay it on too thick.)

ToonaFish
11-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Someone drained Lake Allatoona when I wasn't looking... :frown:

David O
11-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Last weekend in the Cold part of Florida. 83 Degrees, 1 foot seas, 22 miles out.

Cuda
11-05-2004, 06:40 PM
I got up this morning and put on my shorts and t shirt like I always do. I had to drive to Daytona to look for some parts. I had lunch on the water and I was freezing. When I got back to my truck I found out why. It's down to 67 degrees. No joke, I about froze. Winter has set in.

Looking for a parka to buy for Palatka.

Fish boy
11-05-2004, 06:54 PM
... It's down to 67 degrees. No joke, I about froze. Winter has set in.

yep, a cold front moved in, but should be gone by next week. :cool!:

mattyboy
11-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Mattyboy, OK, so we boarded up 4 times the first time in years. The view is pretty fine.........no snow in sight all year long.......last year, Donzigo Jr. was skiing on Christmas Day.

(I"m trying not to lay it on too thick.)

D,
don't worry went for a ride halloween was 70 degrees here fall colors was a great last ride, now once winter has set in I might be a lil more sensitive ;)

Cuda
11-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Ahh, the joys of football season :D :D :D
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7486

Blackfin?

Fish boy
11-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Nope... Florida "Football". ;)

Nice fish David, nothing like fresh tuna!

David O
11-06-2004, 06:00 AM
Yes, Blackfin.
caught 2 that size.
3 grouper
16 red snappers
1 scamp
1 mingo snapper

5 people on the boat Gene S, Bill B, David O & 2 kids
23' Grady White

Cuda
11-06-2004, 08:06 AM
I caught this one on a Penn 550SS on 15# line. The longest fight I ever had with a fish. They fight you all the way to the gaff. Unfortunately, the photographer thought her thumb looked better.

boxy
11-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I caught this one on a Penn 550SS on 15# line. The longest fight I ever had with a fish. They fight you all the way to the gaff. Unfortunately, the photographer thought her thumb looked better.

I think the photographer did just fine, we can clearly see the the beautiful fish, and she blocked the un-appealing parts out nicely .... :D

ToonaFish
11-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Are we sure it was her thumb?

Bunches,

Celene "no, David, I'm not saying it!"

P.S. I will ask, however, "are tunas easy to hook?"

David O
11-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Are we sure it was her thumb?

Bunches,

Celene "no, David, I'm not saying it!"

P.S. I will ask, however, "are tunas easy to hook?"

"are we sure it was her thumb"? I keep telling myself it wasn't.

"I'm not saying it". OK then, the answer is, If fresh, yes.

"Are tunas east to hook"? apparently not.

David O
11-07-2004, 02:36 PM
toona
I like the tag and release method, assuming you hook one but the other two guys on the boat said don't be a fool she's a keeper.

Wazzy
11-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey guys great pictures, miss summer already. -7 here tonight and chance of 5-10 of the white stuff. Man aint the North great.

Ed Donnelly
11-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the site, Spent 4 yrs in Sudbury( BA. MA)at Laurentian U But got smart and spent the next 3 in New Orleans much warmer...Ed

Wazzy
11-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the site, Spent 4 yrs in Sudbury( BA. MA)at Laurentian U But got smart and spent the next 3 in New Orleans much warmer...EdHey Ed, nice to hear from you. Also from LU, but origionaly from Grandbend Ont. but still residing in Sudbury and working for Falco. Loved donzi's for 30's now (yea that's right I'm 30 now) Kidding aside, Have loved all boats but fortunate enough at a very young age to experience donzi's and now I am wreaked for life.

ToonaFish
11-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Okay, so landing a tuna is the difficult part. Is there a particular size rod that you would suggest using?

(And welcome to the board, Mr. Wazzy! Don't worry about your Donzi affliction, we've got just the cure...)

David O
11-08-2004, 06:39 AM
Okay, so landing a tuna is the difficult part. Is there a particular size rod that you would suggest using?

(And welcome to the board, Mr. Wazzy! Don't worry about your Donzi affliction, we've got just the cure...)
Tuna, I don’t think the rod is as important as the technique but yet the rod must be of sufficient size and stiffness. Depending on the endurance of the Tuna the rod must be able to withstand the pumping action required to properly reel in the tuna for long periods of time.
I have noticed some guys like using big stiff rods along with a heavy line where others like using smaller flexible rods with a light line (Cuda). Then you have guys like me that just use the rod we have and make it work.

So Toona, I suggest you get your hands on plenty of rods, whip them around a little to see how they feel to you, and take the one the just feels and looks the best to you. Then practice your technique with that rod, lots.

Did that help you understand?
I am sure there are plenty of guys on the site that can had a lot more to the importance of the rod to help satisfy your curiosity.

Cuda
11-08-2004, 06:52 AM
When trying to land a tuna, one must always be on the lookout for cuda's which will eat the tuna before it is put in the boat.

Cuda
11-08-2004, 06:53 AM
I use the light rod because it would be like shooting fish in a barrel if I brought out the big stick, no sport in that.

Fish boy
11-08-2004, 06:59 AM
ya'll are crackin me up! :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :rlol:

David O
11-08-2004, 07:04 AM
When trying to land a tuna, one must always be on the lookout for cuda's which will eat the tuna before it is put in the boat.
Cuda
That same day I caught the Toona, whoops Tuna, one of the other guys was reeling in a great snapper and I guess one of the Cudas must have seen it and liked it because the whole bottom half of the snapper was gone by the time he got her in the boat.
Do Cudas also eat snapper????

David O
11-08-2004, 08:13 AM
One additional thing!!
An event I have always hoped to see in all my years of fishing but to date have not, is seeing a tuna eat a snapper. I understand it is rare but a very cool, stimulating site to see. You must be VERY careful with your rod if you have a snapper on when the tuna decides to eat the snapper.

I have always heard a Cuda will eat anything. not a rare site to see.

Toona, do you now feel educated on fishing or is there more you need to learn?? Or would you just prefer to experience gulf coast fishing first hand? :biggrin: :biggrin:

ToonaFish
11-08-2004, 08:24 AM
Jiminy cricket, I never realized that fishing was this complicated!

Thank you so much for the great information! Y'all have truly covered the physical equipment necessary for a thoroughly succesful experience... I would hope that practicing on dry land with various rods will hone my skills... once I figure out the proper hand grip, that is. Is it truly all in the wrist?

Oh, and one more question: What bait would be needed to tempt a tuna during a Gulf Coast fishing trip?

David O
11-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Oh, and one more question: What bait would be needed to tempt a tuna during a Gulf Coast fishing trip?

Depends on the species of Tuna one is after.
I have found a Donzi X-18 works for some.

David O
11-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Some of us use rods with custom wraps, and even leather grips...

Yea Poodle I have heard stories about guys that use those custom rods with wraps rings and leather.

Have always wondered if the guys with custom rods catch anymore tuna and snapper then those of us that just use the rod we have.

Wonder what Snapper and Tuna prefer.

I personally think it all in the line you use and how you hold the rod.

And most of all, how you react when you get a nibble.
you can jerk, snatch, tense up and some guys even free spool letting them swallow and then reel them in.

Cuda
11-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Cuda

Do Cudas also eat snapper????

Cudas have been know to gobble a snapper or two.

Cuda
11-08-2004, 07:22 PM
One additional thing!!
An event I have always hoped to see in all my years of fishing but to date have not, is seeing a tuna eat a snapper. I understand it is rare but a very cool, stimulating site to see. You must be VERY careful with your rod if you have a snapper on when the tuna decides to eat the snapper.

:

It is a rare event, but yes, it happens.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Great Pictures.

Were done, last week was it for us, full cover on, boat emptied. A couple small odds and ends to get done to the boat but nothing major.
All gel coat in tact and the boat ran it's butt of last time out, hope all goes well for everyone at start up time.
Frezze warnings the next two days here in VA, only hard on the grass at this point!
Bryan

ToonaFish
11-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Some of us use rods with custom wraps, and even leather grips...

This sounds rather involved... are there any good videos that demonstrate this?

ToonaFish
11-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Depends on the species of Tuna one is after.
I have found a Donzi X-18 works for some.

What weight line must that require?

Bunches,

Celene 'pondering dangling an X18 off a big old rod...'

ToonaFish
11-08-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm sure that Scot wouldn't mind if you uploaded them for us to view...

RickR
11-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Weather is still GREAT in the FLA USA Panhandle :beer:

Pics
Sunrise on the Gulf and Dinner :biggrin.:

Fish boy
11-18-2004, 07:01 AM
GOnna make it a short work day today... too nice out not to go boating.:cool!: :cool!: :shades:

ChromeGorilla
11-18-2004, 07:25 AM
So who's boat you goin out on? :biggrin.:

Ed Donnelly
11-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Fish boy; Tough crowd EH ???
I'd rather be out in the water being towed around(saves gas),
than trying to close my pool and freezing my a** off..Ed

Fish boy
11-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Fish boy; Tough crowd EH ???
I'd rather be out in the water being towed around(saves gas),
than trying to close my pool and freezing my a** off..Ed

Hehe yep, tough crowd but I can remember when I had a slow boat too. Its all good. :D Well anyways, everyone feel free to post away, I am going to be out on the water in the florida sunshine- 78 degrees and no clouds today. Don't forget to bundle up LOL ;) :hyper: :rlol:

gcarter
11-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Jody, don't forget to take a paddle!
Just kidding.....If your boat runs even intermittantly, it's got mine beat!

:wavey:

BUIZILLA
11-18-2004, 08:46 AM
FB, while your at it, try out your new and tricky *run on 1 spark plug* idea, and let us know how ya make out :jestera:

Cuda
11-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Just perfect weather today, high of 78. It's going to get in the eighties by the weekend. :)

Fish boy
11-18-2004, 08:53 AM
FB, while your at it, try out your new and tricky *run on 1 spark plug* idea, and let us know how ya make out :jestera:

I was actually planning on doing that since I think Budmann may splash his boat too. :jestera: :jestera:

BUIZILLA
11-18-2004, 10:48 AM
I think we need to grab the scooter's and venture down to Key West this weekend for the World's... :checkered :moped:

Cuda
11-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I just finally got mine started the other night. I still haven't ridden it, though my buddy that was helping me took off through the neighborhood about 10 pm on it and then revved it up right in front of the busy body we call the Mayor around here. I'm sure I'll hear about that. :mad:

I've owned it about a month now, and still haven't ridden. :( I hate to take my first ride after dark, since I've never ridden a Harley before. Right now I have the rear fender off to fix the tail light. That's just special getting those allen bolts out under the fender. :angryfire