PDA

View Full Version : Need some winterizing info for a Business buddy please

Lenny
11-03-2004, 12:01 PM
I fella I do business with has asked my opinion ( I don't have one on this topic) as how to winterize his new (ish) Ski Nautique. He has a 351 PCM or Indmar or something with injection. The boat will stay inside a non heated enclosed garage and we rarely ever see 32F outside let alone inside this garage.

What should he do to the motor ?

MOP
11-03-2004, 02:00 PM
I am not sure what the EFI fog out procedure is, but run it until warmed then change oil and filters (gas also). Once fogged I feel that the block and manifolds should be drained and refilled with anti freeze to inhibit corrosion and possible freeze up during layup. Make sure you loosen the raw water pump cover to drain it, it is also good to relax the tension on the belts. I spray everything in sight with WD40 especially the pulleys, once they rust they eat belts. I plastic bag the engine intake and cap the exhaust on through hulls coffee cups work great, I like removing the battery cleaning and spaying terminal end and posts with battery protector. I believe in storing batteries in a warm place (check and trickle charge as needed). Take a tub of marine grease and a small brush and coat all steering parts. Another thing one of my guys recently put me onto was to spay Armor all into the cutlass bearing and give the shaft a turn, what that does is keep the rubber from sticking to the shaft during layup and helps to keep it from drying out. I know there are other ways to go about it but this has worked for many years for me.

Phil