PDA

View Full Version : Baby Donzi?

Kirk
11-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Baby Donzi?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4500768371&category=31270 (Baby Donzi)

Looks clean...

sanleonkid
11-02-2004, 09:26 PM
..... again I am inpressed and feel priveledged to be a part of a group that takes such great care of these fine crafts ....... and the ability of them to hold up so well.

olredalert
11-02-2004, 10:25 PM
--------Uh........Yup! On top of it..........and maybe sitting in it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............Bill S

Mr X
11-03-2004, 07:05 AM
The pics look like the red the stripe has been repainted.
Has it been restored.........?

MOP
11-03-2004, 08:47 AM
It looks to be very good fresh water condition judging by the hardware and Donzi emblem showing of no pitting what soever. It is good to see one in this shape, I think it will end up in good hands maybe even in a board members stable!

Phil

olredalert
11-03-2004, 09:08 AM
-------Boat has been totally repainted and re-upholstered, and interior appears to have gone south again. All in all a well kept boat that seems to sit out alot.
-------Im not sure I understand the scoops on the hatch. Owner says they were there when he bought it ten years ago. Not any deal breaker though.
-------Is anyone on the board willing to say they are bidding on this along with me? I hope this auction doesnt get too far out of shape.........Bill S

DAULEY
11-03-2004, 09:17 AM
drive is not original complete boat painted 11year ago top and bottom all chrome redone also at that time motor also done
nice boat

Kirk
11-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Look what I started!!!!!!

Speaking for myself...I am not bidding!!

If it was an early barrelback that needed a total restoration that would be a different story....I would like to have another project.

Great boat and hope that a member purchases this boat and I can see it at some point along the way.

KJ

Donzi Racer
11-03-2004, 02:06 PM
-------Boat has been totally repainted and re-upholstered, and interior appears to have gone south again. All in all a well kept boat that seems to sit out alot.
-------Im not sure I understand the scoops on the hatch. Owner says they were there when he bought it ten years ago. Not any deal breaker though.
-------Is anyone on the board willing to say they are bidding on this along with me? I hope this auction doesnt get too far out of shape.........Bill SBill, what do you call out of hand? reserve is 15,000. To be fair will offer anyone the early history of this boat. I have kept up with the history since it was new. getting close to 40 years. The restoration is around 10 years old. Will try to add a 1967 picture of this boat if I can figure out how to post. It will be fuzzy. email me at mishunaire@aol.com for further info. probably will not be bidding but will be close to the boat on next wednesday if anyone needs a present condition report. It definately brings back wonderful memories. Can you imagine the way people looked at this boat in 1967? Like it was from outerspace ! Tom

mattyboy
11-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Ole red I'm looking to move up not down,
so no bids from me
DRacer I have some questions on the steering wheel, it is not original but does have the prop logo in the center,do you know the story on that.

very unique boat, but you know me get the windshield off of it please ;)

olredalert
11-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Tom,

------This is a great boat. Theres another up here quite close to me that I had also been trying to buy. Some things appear to be better on one than the other and the reverse. They appear to be close to equal as far as value goes. The owner of the Alabama 14 seems like a nice guy to me and I wish him the best in the auction. And yet its always a double edged sword for me when Im interested in something like this. I would like to buy it for as little as possible, and yet I want DONZIs to gain value in a historical perspective. I know I cant have it both ways.
------With all that said, Ive been doing some thinking since I left that message and with some of the stuff going on in my life right now I really shouldnt even consider this cutie. I think Im going to step aside and hopefully someone else within our DONZI community will end up with it and we will all be able to see it at a future DONZI get-together..............Bill S

Kirk
11-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Sorry if I opened up a can of "baby donzi" on you. My intentions where only to have a member grab this boat and not to drive the price up...If I screwed anything up for you I am sorry.

I would certainally hope that the owner will sell you the boat as it would receive alot of love from you.

KJ

Donzi Racer
11-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Tom,

------This is a great boat. Theres another up here quite close to me that I had also been trying to buy. Some things appear to be better on one than the other and the reverse. They appear to be close to equal as far as value goes. The owner of the Alabama 14 seems like a nice guy to me and I wish him the best in the auction. And yet its always a double edged sword for me when Im interested in something like this. I would like to buy it for as little as possible, and yet I want DONZIs to gain value in a historical perspective. I know I cant have it both ways.
------With all that said, Ive been doing some thinking since I left that message and with some of the stuff going on in my life right now I really shouldnt even consider this cutie. I think Im going to step aside and hopefully someone else within our DONZI community will end up with it and we will all be able to see it at a future DONZI get-together..............Bill SI couldn't agree more about that sword. I feel that one of only 13 of a 1 year only boat made almost 40 years ago should be worth a small fortune.I have been watching this site for a short time and the prices of the old rare donzi's seem to be a steal compared with what it would cost to replace today. When you see the price of 30 to 40 year old performance oriented autos, I feel that these boats should definately be right in there with them but not there yet. This was the first boat I ever drove, skiied behind, and climbed over that dad burn windshield 1,000 times to help get the front end down while pulling skiiers. I will say by the way this boat should hold the title for the absolute worst Ski Boat ever made, but will pull more eyes toward it than any other donzi or boat that I have ever seen.
Matt, The sterring wheel was originally white but don't remember the donzi emblem being in it, but it could have been there. Will look for more pics to see for sure. Hope that helps, Tom

olredalert
11-06-2004, 10:04 PM
-----Anybody notice what this auction is up to????? I thought that the auction might never reach $10,000, but its there and higher. And I believe it may hit the reserve. Is this a good thing? Yes, I think it is. These low volume, really collectable DONZIs apparently are headed up in value. I have wanted to believe this for awhile now but this could be some proof of a healthy upside. Just hope all those that want collectable DONZIs on the website have thiers now or get one soon!.................Bill S

Scott Pearson
11-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Maybe I should sell my Baby 14.... :biggrin.: :biggrin.: .

Being the last one out of the mold and titled as a Cigarette it has to be worth something :rolleyes: .

Anywhoooo.....It would be nice if a board member grabbed this one....little pricey but you never know....

Scott
LGDCC

mattyboy
11-07-2004, 07:19 AM
somebody should buy Pearson's 14 before he paints it orange or lime green or something ;)

I would love to have a 14 but Marie would not go for buying a smaller boat

Donzi Racer
11-07-2004, 06:49 PM

Being the last one out of the mold and titled as a Cigarette it has to be worth something :rolleyes: .

Anywhoooo.....It would be nice if a board member grabbed this one....little pricey but you never know....

Scott
LGDCCWhat would you call pricey?

Donzi Racer
11-07-2004, 06:58 PM
-----Anybody notice what this auction is up to????? I thought that the auction might never reach $10,000, but its there and higher. And I believe it may hit the reserve. Is this a good thing? Yes, I think it is. These low volume, really collectable DONZIs apparently are headed up in value. I have wanted to believe this for awhile now but this could be some proof of a healthy upside. Just hope all those that want collectable DONZIs on the website have thiers now or get one soon!.................Bill Si like you bill thought this baby would go for about 6k to 7.5k compared to what other older classics have been bringing. I am glad to see this trend also. You might notice someone else got a bargain today on a sweet 16 1977 model for an instant purchase price of 6,200 on ebay. This baby will still need 4 to 6 thousand to put it in nice condition and that doesn't include any mechanical needs. I definateley say the donzi's that are nice and ready to go seem to be definate bargains still. Tom

mattyboy
11-07-2004, 08:37 PM
This baby will still need 4 to 6 thousand to put it in nice condition and that doesn't include any mechanical needs. I definateley say the donzi's that are nice and ready to go seem to be definate bargains still. Tom

4-6k to put in nice condition or back to original condition??? on top of a 15k reserve??? , a 14 is rare, and should be original not customized, not modernized, other wise it it just a 14 foot boat that seats 3,

DAULEY
11-08-2004, 08:21 AM
matty
well said

rr1048
11-08-2004, 10:05 AM

Scott
LGDCC

Scott, Are you interested in selling your 14? I have a friend that might be a prospect. What kind of number are you looking at? Thanks, Randy

Donzi Racer
11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
4-6k to put in nice condition or back to original condition??? on top of a 15k reserve??? , a 14 is rare, and should be original not customized, not modernized, other wise it it just a 14 foot boat that seats 3,MY POINT WAS THE BOAT WILL NEED PAINT, INTERIOR, AND POSSIBLY MECHANICAL WORK SINCE THE MECHANICALS PROBABLY HAVEN'T BEEN UPDATED IN THE LAST 10 YEARS.BOAT HAS BEEN PAINTED ONCE 10 TO 12 YEARS AGO AND FROM THE ORANGE PEEL AROUND THE CLOSE UP OF THE HORN, IT WILL NEED PAINTING AGAIN. THE OWNER TOOK THIS BOAT OFF THE JUNK PILE AND PAID 5 TIMES WHAT MOST ANYBODY ELSE WOULD HAVE PAID FOR IT. MOST OF US WOULD HAVE WALKED AWAY FROM IT AT $1,000, MUCH LESS PAID THE 5,OOO HE PLOPPED DOWN FOR IT. HE HAD BROUGHT IT BACK FROM BEYOND BY COMPLETELY REMODELING IT WITH A REBUILT OR NEW ENGINE WITH CORRECT HP,COMPLETELY PATCH AND PAINT ENTIRE BOAT, REBUILD OUTDRIVE AND I BELIEVE ADDED TRIM WHICH IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT ON THIS BOAT,INTERIOR NOW NEEDING A BIT OF FRESHENING,AND A REDO ON THE CHROME THAT STILL LOOKS GOOD. DID A GREAT JOB CONSIDERING LOCAL LABOR AND EXPERTISE 10 YEARS AGO IN NORTH ALABAMA. I DO KNOW THAT I LIKE SEEING IT THIS WAY MUCH MORE THAN IN A VACANT LOT WITH A 12 FOOT TREE GROWING UP AND AROUND BOTH SIDES OF THE HULL, THE WAY IT USED TO BE.
THE NEAT THING IS THIS BOAT HAS ALWAYS RESIDED WITHIN 20 MILES OF WHERE IT REST NOW SINCE THE ORIGINAL OWNER DROVE TO NORTH MIAMI AT 188TH AND PICKED IT UP ALMOST 38 YEARS AGO.
THIS BOAT COST MORE THAN A 1967 CORVETTE WHEN IT WAS NEW, AROUND $5,500.00. WITH ONLY 13 BEING BUILT, IT WAS AS RARE AS THE RAREST OF THE '67 VETTES. WHAT DOES A 1967 CORVETTE IN GOOD CONDITION BRING TODAY? THE RARE ONES BRING OVER $100,000.
ALTHOUGH 15K PLUS 5K IS A LOT OF $ FOR THIS BOAT, I AM GLAD TO SEE THESE EARLIER RARER BOATS STARTING AN UPWARD MOVEMENT ESPECIALLY THIS PARTICULAR BOAT. CAN YOU TELL I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE? HMMMM? TOM

Lenny
11-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Speaking of '67 Vettes and Baby Donzi's, I wonder how Poodles 14 is coming along ? A pic of his original tabs is certainly entertaining.

rustnrot
11-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Gang, as much as the rest of you I like to see high $$ for these old Donzi's. However, putting the reserve price in the auction invites high bids---to just below the reserve. Heck, I have no intention of buying but I could go ahead and bid $14999---and be in no obligation to buy since it did not reach the reserve. In other words, until it hits the reserve, which I hope it does, it is just "play" money.

mattyboy
11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
MY POINT WAS THE BOAT WILL NEED PAINT, INTERIOR, AND POSSIBLY MECHANICAL WORK SINCE THE MECHANICALS PROBABLY HAVEN'T BEEN UPDATED IN THE LAST 10 YEARS.BOAT HAS BEEN PAINTED ONCE 10 TO 12 YEARS AGO AND FROM THE ORANGE PEEL AROUND THE CLOSE UP OF THE HORN, IT WILL NEED PAINTING AGAIN. THE OWNER TOOK THIS BOAT OFF THE JUNK PILE AND PAID 5 TIMES WHAT MOST ANYBODY ELSE WOULD HAVE PAID FOR IT. MOST OF US WOULD HAVE WALKED AWAY FROM IT AT $1,000, MUCH LESS PAID THE 5,OOO HE PLOPPED DOWN FOR IT. HE HAD BROUGHT IT BACK FROM BEYOND BY COMPLETELY REMODELING IT WITH A REBUILT OR NEW ENGINE WITH CORRECT HP,COMPLETELY PATCH AND PAINT ENTIRE BOAT, REBUILD OUTDRIVE AND I BELIEVE ADDED TRIM WHICH IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT ON THIS BOAT,INTERIOR NOW NEEDING A BIT OF FRESHENING,AND A REDO ON THE CHROME THAT STILL LOOKS GOOD. DID A GREAT JOB CONSIDERING LOCAL LABOR AND EXPERTISE 10 YEARS AGO IN NORTH ALABAMA. I DO KNOW THAT I LIKE SEEING IT THIS WAY MUCH MORE THAN IN A VACANT LOT WITH A 12 FOOT TREE GROWING UP AND AROUND BOTH SIDES OF THE HULL, THE WAY IT USED TO BE.
THE NEAT THING IS THIS BOAT HAS ALWAYS RESIDED WITHIN 20 MILES OF WHERE IT REST NOW SINCE THE ORIGINAL OWNER DROVE TO NORTH MIAMI AT 188TH AND PICKED IT UP ALMOST 38 YEARS AGO.
THIS BOAT COST MORE THAN A 1967 CORVETTE WHEN IT WAS NEW, AROUND $5,500.00. WITH ONLY 13 BEING BUILT, IT WAS AS RARE AS THE RAREST OF THE '67 VETTES. WHAT DOES A 1967 CORVETTE IN GOOD CONDITION BRING TODAY? THE RARE ONES BRING OVER $100,000.
ALTHOUGH 15K PLUS 5K IS A LOT OF $ FOR THIS BOAT, I AM GLAD TO SEE THESE EARLIER RARER BOATS STARTING AN UPWARD MOVEMENT ESPECIALLY THIS PARTICULAR BOAT. CAN YOU TELL I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE? HMMMM? TOM
Tom that's all fine and good but a reserve price doesn't define an upward trend, ie the 22k restored 16 and the 48k original 16 in tx?? asking price is a world away from what a prospective buyer will pay, I have seen original mint the day they left the factory boats yes stay on the same lake their entire lives albeit not rare but unique custom made boats delivered from the factory not command such reserve, It is a wonderful boat, but buying a piece of 30yr old plus fiberglass and all the associated problems that come along (namely the tank and stringers) with it in my mind has kept values down, rare or not has not equalled the present muscle car explosion,
yes i would like to see values go up as I own a well documented 67 16

Donzi Racer
11-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Gang, as much as the rest of you I like to see high $$ for these old Donzi's. However, putting the reserve price in the auction invites high bids---to just below the reserve. Heck, I have no intention of buying but I could go ahead and bid $14999---and be in no obligation to buy since it did not reach the reserve. In other words, until it hits the reserve, which I hope it does, it is just "play" money.Saw where they lowered the reserve to 12500 and the buyer had a ebay name of RR something from Georgia. Just wondering if that was you? Tom

rustnrot
11-20-2004, 09:15 AM
No not me. I want one that is in complete need of restoration. Because I have a marinized Mazda rotary engine (175 hp) that I want to put in it. Either alpha drive or v drive configuration.

Donzi Racer
11-22-2004, 08:50 PM
No not me. I want one that is in complete need of restoration. Because I have a marinized Mazda rotary engine (175 hp) that I want to put in it. Either alpha drive or v drive configuration.that would be way cool. when we had it we always wanted more power. always wanted a V-8 now have had a few donzi's with V-8's and would have loved to have had that Baby again. We always figured maybe the 188 hp 4cyl would have been neat. Right after my grandfather sold it we had heard that a friend of his had a straight 6 cyl that he was going to put into it. never know if it got that motor though. I do remember that it was impossible, "according to my grandfather" to turn it over. I remember him trying everthing he could think of to turn it over in rough water. I think the guys at the factory told him it couldn't be done and he was bound and determined to be sure. He used to wear a beret and I can remember jumping out of that boat a bunch of times to grab it as it was sinking down after being blown off his head. always kept ear aches as a kid as a result. Hope you get your's and look foward to hearing how the rotary does with it. Whoever got this Gem contact me for many stories and copies of all the original paperwork if I can find them again.