PDA

View Full Version : Stern Drive Alignment Procedure

KDG
11-01-2004, 11:49 AM
I have a Volvo 250 drive for my 66 barrelback (which I'm in the process of restoring). The drive was off of the boat when purchased and I've since had the 351W rebuilt. Would anyone know of the procedures to align the drive with the engine? I was told that an alignment tool is required and rather than deal with a shop, prefer to do this myself. Any information would be appraciated.

Thanks.

gcarter
11-01-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm in the middle of this w/my Merc. I have no experience w/Volvos. You need MOP.
There are a number of folks on eBay who sell alignment tools for Mercs, they may even be universal, I just don't know. It's just a semi tedious operation. :)

MOP
11-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I have never seen a real alignment procedure on these drives, heck the 4 cylinder hang off the transom and sit on a rubber donut that sits between the bell housing and transom shield. Underway they wiggle all over hell, so much for alignment. But that is neither here nor there, what I do on engines with forward mounts is to take calipers and measure from the inner machined collar on the back of bell housing to the round protruding collar on the transom shield. I check from several points side to side and top to bottom, once I am OK with my readings then I throw the drive on. Volvo having the spline connection point at the U joint and not at the flywheel coupling makes the alignment far less critical than others.

Phil