PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Events this summer??

Riley
04-26-2001, 07:09 AM
So far I'm aware of the AOTH, the Spring Dust Off, and the SE Michigan gathering.....how many more events have been organized for this summer? It looks like I'm going to keep the Donzi for at least one more year, and I'd like to get to a few gatherings with some of you guys! I'd still be willing to put something together up here in the Les Cheneaux Islands area in July or August, if the interest is there.

Dr. Dan
04-26-2001, 11:28 AM
Riley, I'd be interested for next year but this year is already booked for vacations. I am actually going to be in Grand Haven & Muskegon area just after the 4th Holiday. My whole family is from Michigan. We often come up to Cederville and Hessle, my relatives still live there. Sometimes we camp at Burt Lake and do the Harbor Springs thing. Nice area...Doc

bverd
04-26-2001, 12:41 PM
Dr. Dan
When are you going to be in Grand Haven. I am planning on being up there with my X18 during the week of the 4th.

[This message has been edited by bverd (edited 04-26-2001).]

Dr. Dan
04-26-2001, 03:15 PM
bverd, I believe that we will be heading in the weekend after the 4th, my brother has a 32' St. Tropez in Muskegon. We were thinking of coming up a few days earlier(7th & 8th), we're to meet them that Sunday or Monday in Muskegon at the new Marina there. I can firm up the dates if you think you guys might be up there still.

Forrest
04-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Emmo, WHERE ARE YOU !!!?

I don't see why we can't do the 3rd Annual Lake Eufaula Donzi Roundup on Labor Day Weekend. The first year we had, what was it, four or five Donzis? Last year we had nine. We are doubling the number of Donzis every year! That tells me we could get as many as 18 Donzis this year if it grows like it has so far. Anyway, this one is easy for anyone from Western North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Central and North Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and anyone from anywhere who doesn't mind a little travel for a good time. Just ask the folks who attended in the past!

Here is a picture of Gene Schmidt's X-18 (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=188) at the First Annual Lake Eufaula Donzi roundup . . .

http://palmgear.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/fetch.cgi/sanjose/C010312896912eae6/006//edth250399/lake_eufaula__-_1st_annual_donzi_roundup_highlights_from_1999/jpg/8/006.jpg

Link to some of the pictures from past events (http://www.emmette.com/Labor_Day.htm)

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 04-26-2001).]

Dr. Dan
04-26-2001, 05:43 PM
Forrest, Where is Lake Eufaula? How far from the Baltimore area?...Doc , By the way that's a great lookin 18! O.K. I gotta ask, the beautiful ladies on the Checkmate, which one of you Southern Donzi Boys is she describing "size wise to her pal?"...Hmmmm?

[This message has been edited by Dr. Dan (edited 04-26-2001).]

Riley
04-26-2001, 07:40 PM
Dr. Dan,
Who, if I may ask, are your relatives in the Cedarville-Hessel area? It's a pretty small area, maybe I know them!

It's too bad you couldn't extend your Michigan trip a few days, we could get together up here that weekend of the 14th. I also like your "Tip of the Mitt" idea (Burt Lake-Mullet Lake-Indian River). Another awesome spot for a Donzi meet would be at Torch Lake, I hear the sandbar party there is one of the best in the state.

Varyak
04-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Riley,
If you schedule Cedarville in July or August I'll be there FROM FLORIDA!

Forrest,
Heather and Family are back on the schedule with me for Lake Eufala 3 Labor Day Weekend. Let's do it again!!!!!
Mark

Riley
04-26-2001, 08:53 PM
Varyak, I like your style! Hey, I'm open to doing a get together up here anytime in July or the first weekend in August. The second weekend in August is the Hessel Antique Boat Show. The Hessel show is a great event, but it eats up dock space, motel rooms, and the only decent launching ramp in the area. Let me know when you guys would like to get together, I'll get the ball rolling ASAP.

Dr. Dan
04-26-2001, 09:28 PM
Riley, my uncle on my mothers side is Bud Matthews. Everyone knows Bud & it seems he knows everyone. The man is a walking Encyclopedia of local history. I also have the Nyes, who are also up there. I really wasn't as close to them. But Bud would always have some project going on, he's retired I think from the Quarry. I have lots of stories... As for our vacation, nothing is set in stone,it's entirely possible I could arrange a northern jaunt. My co-pilot would probably like a bit of civilization(stores/shops)she loved Harbor Springs and the Petoskey & Charlevoix area. It's a bit pricey but the scenery is terrific! Sometimes we do the Mackinac Island trip if we have the time. Let me know,the world keeps getting smaller by the minute...Doc

Riley
04-27-2001, 06:57 AM
Dr. Dan, yes I know Bud. Several years ago when wood boats were all the rage Bud ran with the same group of guys my father did. I still see his son, Chris, quite often.

If your wife loves to shop you should take her to Mackinaw City the next time you make it North. The town has really grown the past few years and has plenty of shopping and dining opportunities.

Cedarville and Hessel are still pretty quiet, but have some of the finest boating to be found anywhere. The nice thing about boating up here is that it isn't overly crowded, and there really isn't any problem with noise issues or excessive marine law enforcement.

If you think you might make it up, let me know. I think that second weekend in July could work out well for a Les Cheneaux Donzi gathering. What do you think?

Tony
04-27-2001, 07:58 AM
Second weekend in July is perfect for me! Do you have a "home base" accomodations facility picked out yet? Are you thinking of the motel close to your house, or one of the cabin style rentals? Of the cabin phone numbers you gave me, which would have the nicest view? The nicest docks? Set the date, Chris, and I'll be the first to book a room!

Riley
04-27-2001, 08:38 AM
Tony, no I haven't picked out facilities or anything yet. It sounds like we have enough interest to put something together, so I'll research lodging, docking, launching, etc. and try to come up with a firm date. I'd like to get in touch with a couple of other Donzi owners from here in the area and see what they think. I'll start another thread when I have some firm info.

Tentatively, I'd like to have a Friday night "welcome" party, spend Saturday boating, have a picnic of some sort, have dinner Saturday night. Sunday would be spent on the water again, for those that choose to stay on. Suggestions??

Varyak
04-27-2001, 09:46 PM
Riley,
Late July or early August sounds great. I'll need some of your cool clear water to take the heat off our summer here in Florida. AND I will be able to do one of my dream drives which is from Key West to Canada. I wasn't planning to tow a boat most of that way, but what the heck? No problem. I'm IN!
Hey, anyone in Florida or Georgia that doesn't want to tow, but will share the driving duties is welcome to contact me. Varyak@aol.com
Mark

Dr. Dan
04-27-2001, 10:54 PM
Riley, I am willing to say that we could probably make that weekend highly doable! I am restricted to that weekend because of my vacation constraints timewise. But if you can get a couple of the other guys interested, or even if you can't, I would still consider coming up! I could show Bud my boat, he'd go crazy,even though it's not wood. We could head up on Thursday I think from Muskegon, maybe camp one day at Burt Lake or somewhere and then head to where ever you decide. Bud used to have access to a pretty neat little cabin right on the water, next to Professor Kim's place(Karate Instructor at MSU in the 1980's), the cabin owner either founded or sold Motown Records, used to own it and Bud watched over it. It was too small for a group of Donzis, but it was in a real pretty area of all the Islands.Last time I was there my co-pilot got eaten alive by mosquitos,she remembers that trip well... let me know what you come up with...Doc

Riley
04-28-2001, 09:14 AM
Okay guys, it sounds like we have a date in mind. I'll check with the resorts and motels today and see how things are looking for the weekend of July 13-15....Dr. Dan, our mosquitos can still be ornery in the Spring, but by July things have calmed down a bit!

Dr. Dan
04-28-2001, 08:48 PM
Riley, Liz will be more cautious of the pesky critters this time. Very cool if we can do this,my co-pilot is even psyched! Let us know when you get it dialed in...Doc