PDA

View Full Version : Odd Windows Zip files

MOP
10-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Lately I have been getting Microsoft Zip files hitting my firewall that end up in the Temporary Internet file, one shows a Certificate Revocation when checking properties. List as follows the last three are the Zips.

CodeSignPCA
a/
WULPROTO
IUIDENT
CUNPROT2

Window Washer flushes them away, but am wondering what they are. Any clues?

Phil

txtaz
10-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Hey Phil,
CodeSignPCA.crl is used by developers to "sign" their code and used to register any rtl's and dll's (runtime libraries and dymanic link libraries).
WULPROTO - got me but a google search came up with a bunch of Russian links, not good.
IUIDENT is a Windows cab file. Much like a zip file. It is used to update Windows
CUNPROT2 - More Russian links
Sounds to me like someone is trying to put something on your computer. Years back, hackers would find an open port and use that computer to store illegal software and files. It was called 0 Daz FTP. They would then publish the IP addy.
As you know never open a file you don't know what it is. Those zip files would have overwritten legitimate Windows files. I might also be a virus. hard to tell.
Hope this helps.
Wes

MOP
10-31-2004, 05:34 PM
Hi Wes yeah I don't open anything unless positive of content, what was bugging me is Zone Alarm reported the files as coming from Windows Update. I knew that was BS as I had Windows UD logged to pass the firewall. The next time I will stick them in a folder and pass them on to CAI my virus people let them look them over.

Thanks