PDA

View Full Version : Dear Boston Red Sox

MissRepublican
10-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Whatever your organization did to threaten, intimidate, or otherwise remove Schilling from expressing his support for this president is reprehensible. I've been a Sox fan all of my 37 years, and Kerry's false support alone was enough to sicken me to the point of considering becoming a Yanks fan...this might just tip the scales...

Congrats on the Series win, but you suck for muzzling Schilling's free speech.

Sincerely,

A once and future fan...

Darrell
10-30-2004, 05:17 PM
You can become a Ranger's fan like most of us down here, one great thing about it you never have to worry about having watch games in October. :biggrin.:

Darrell

MissRepublican
10-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Heck, I am used to that--watching baseball in October as a Red Sox fan is a rarity!

Depending on Tuesday's results, I'll probably forgive them by next spring...

MissRepublican
10-31-2004, 05:42 PM
(CNSNews.com) - Owners of the Boston Red Sox and the club's president have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Democrat candidates, including Sen. John Kerry, while giving little to Republicans, according to federal election records.

Red Sox principal owner John W. Henry, a hedge fund investor, donated $471,500 to Democrats since 2000, much of it in large amounts to Democrat campaign committees. Henry gave the maximum $2,000 to Sen. John Kerry last year, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

The team's chairman, Thomas C. Werner, a partner at a Hollywood production studio, gave $131,000 to the Democratic Party or Democrats running for office in the past four years, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Werner gave $3,000 to Kerry since 2000.

Red Sox President Larry Lucchino, who previously ran the San Diego Padres, donated $27,500 to Democrats since 2000, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Lucchino gave $2,000 to Kerry, but also donated $1,000 to then-Gov. George W. Bush in 1999.

The three Red Sox executives gave a total of $630,000 to Democrats since 2000, while Republicans received $8,000 over the same time period, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Questions about the political motivations of the Red Sox executives surfaced Friday after pitcher Curt Schilling backed out of a promised campaign rally with President Bush. Schilling surprisingly endorsed Bush on ABC's "Good Morning America" on Thursday, a day after his team won the World Series, in which he starred.

Red Sox spokesman Glenn Geffner didn't return a call seeking comment about the political contributions.

An apparent e-mail from Schilling was posted (http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/) on the BostonDirtDogs.com website Friday morning. Schilling blamed his doctor for canceling the appearance with Bush. He suffered an ankle injury during the playoffs, although he continued to pitch through the pain.

"While I am a Bush supporter, and I did vote for him with an absentee ballot, speaking as I did the other day was wrong," Schilling wrote. "While I hope to see him re-elected, it's not my place, nor the time for me to offer up my political opinons (sic) unsolicited."

ToonaFish
10-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Let me get this straight...

It's not okay for an actor to endorse a candidate, but it is okay for a sports figure? :smile:

MissRepublican
11-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Forgive me, but I think you miss the point. Whether or not an athlete, actor, celebrity, or any private citizen, for that matter, endorses a candidate, is a matter of his or her own conscience.
The problem arises when one's free speech is stifled because it doesn't coincide with the ideology of one's employer.

Imagine if you were fired merely because your political ideology, something totally unrelated to the manner and scope of your employment, was divergent from that of your employer.

Perhaps being a Christian and a conservative should be "protected classes" under the auspices of the constitution.

DONZI
11-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Whatever your organization did to threaten, intimidate, or otherwise remove Schilling from expressing his support for this president is reprehensible. I've been a Sox fan all of my 37 years, and Kerry's false support alone was enough to sicken me to the point of considering becoming a Yanks fan...this might just tip the scales...

Congrats on the Series win, but you suck for muzzling Schilling's free speech.

Sincerely,

A once and future fan...
:rolleyes:
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3127070

MissRepublican
11-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Many stories reported that Schilling determined to appear with Bush after several owners of the Sox went on the stump with Kerry.

Many, many people wrote to the Red Sox organization, as I did, and posted on the Sox forum registering disappointment with the owners' initial response to Schilling's support of the President.