PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Prep

RickR
10-29-2004, 03:37 PM
I am using my automotive guy to change the stripe color on the 22. Center stripe and boot stripe. Plan on using basecoat/clearcoat on the center stripe.

His experience is with Dupont Products.

What kind of prep do I need for the old blue gelcoat stripe? 600? 320? DA?

Any recommendations for a particular Dupont product?

Shoud we use a flex additive?

Thanks! :bonk:

gcarter
10-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi Rick;
I had a customer, a proffesional auto body painter, explain to me why Dupont products aren't his favorite.
It seems it requires quite a few coats to get good coverage, i.e., the color isn't very dense. THEN you still have to clear coat.
With the paint I used, and what my customer reccomended, is R-M UNO HD, without a clearcoat. This stuff will cover with one coat, although I used two to three coats. Also the shine is better than any clear coat you'll ever see. This paint is incredibly hard and durable. I used it on my hull sides, transom, outdrive and the center stripe. Take a look at some of my threads and note the results.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36526
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36434
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36266
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35030
Anyway, I hope this helps.

RedDog
10-29-2004, 07:07 PM
you gotta tell us - what color are you going to? Or is it not a color?

RickR
10-29-2004, 08:02 PM
gcarter
I've ben following your project/ looks AWESOME :)

My deck sees a lot of traffic. Worst is camping and walking the Doberman across the bow.
So I need the clear for buffing out the scratches.

My brother-in-law has always sprayed for me using PPG but due to his health he cannot spray any more. He cleared the black on the 18 for me with great results.
BUT The guy spraying for me uses Dupont so I'm trying to go with what he is familiar with. I might talk him into using PPG.

My deck is in good shape so I do not feel I need a primer, like you used on your deck stripe. We used 320 wet sanding to scuff the black gelcoat on the 18 before clearing.

reddog
Was the black/clear still in good shape on Genuine Trouble?
Yep you guessed it 22 Genuine Risk is getting a black stripe :rlol:

gcarter
10-29-2004, 08:20 PM
As my painter customer explained to me, (and I know nothing about paint) PPG and R-M are both part of the same corporation. Some of their products are very similar.
I know both companies offer excellent two stage products.
But think about this, it's been my experience that clearcoat is no harder than the paint I'm describing. What's so neat about this stuff is if I got a result I didn't like (like a run), all I did was sand, then color sand, and buff. I suppose a few extra coats of color would give the same depth and protection as clearcoat.
I've NEVER painted with a product like this. Most of the pictures I posted are "as sprayed", with no touch up at all.
You have to actually see the results to believe it.
Anyway I wish you well with your project. :)
:smash: :yippie:

RedDog
10-30-2004, 08:51 AM
...Was the black/clear still in good shape on Genuine Trouble?
Yep you guessed it 22 Genuine Risk is getting a black stripe :rlol:

yep - it still looked like the day I got her from you

scott snider
10-31-2004, 11:53 AM
My preference is also Dupont I have repainted many boats and i am in the process right now of a complete restoration of a 22c.If the gel is severly faded i would start with 180 grit da paper then move to 320 grit da followed with 400 grit wet.I use Dupont Chromabase and clearcoat with Dupont Imron 500s.The 500s is not recomended for below the water line but i have never had any problems and this clear is the most durable clear on the market.No flex agent is needed with these products.

Sierra
10-31-2004, 12:43 PM
Just came across this thread. My 19 just got painted with Awlgrip. I was told that it's a good paint. What is your input?

Ricardo

martiniboat/ Brian Kamrath
11-04-2004, 09:45 AM
RickR- Here's another vote for DuPont Imron. I really enjoy spraying it. There are several excellent quality urethanes out there and everyone has their preferences. You just can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned brands. I would stick to whatever your 'main man' prefers, chances are, he'll do a better job with something he's familiar with.

Here's a sample of the gloss exhibited by the DuPont product. (I know it's hard to get a handle on it from a picture) This is 'straight from the gun', I haven't even wet sanded it yet! The tab tips are reflected in the paint.

Good luck with yor mission.

Brian

Morgan's Cloud
11-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Just came across this thread. My 19 just got painted with Awlgrip. I was told that it's a good paint. What is your input?

Ricardo

Like Brian says above , there are several brands of urethanes , all good and everyone has their preferences .

As long as no corners were cut in the Awlgripping of your boat , you'll be very impressed ... many years from now !

If you store the boat indoors it may never need painting again as long as you own it . That's how good the stuff is .

Steve

RickR
11-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the help :rlol:
I'll pass info to my paint man :)

Cuda
11-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Here's a picture of my transom I sprayed with Brightsides polyurethane. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it just doesn't get any shinier than this. All I did for prep was to sand the gel down with 150 grit.

Sierra
11-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Brian and Steve thanks for the input my boat was just sprayed looks good.

martiniboat/ Brian Kamrath
11-05-2004, 05:50 AM
You're more than welcome...now post some pictures! :D

gcarter
11-05-2004, 06:23 AM
It has become obvious to me that some of todays products are absolutely incredible.
If someone like me, a painting neophyte, can get the results I have, then these products in the hands of a pro must be absolutely astounding.
I want to encourage folks to take on some of these projects yourselves. You really can't screw up. If you get bad results, simply sand it off and try again. :banghead: