PDA

View Full Version : Another syn oil question, but for motorcycles

txtaz
10-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Just another question about motor oil.
I'm getting ready to change our new bikes (Honda 750 4-stroke) oil to synthetics. All new Harleys come with synthetic 20-50. The Honda manual says 10-40. No biggy, but I bought Royal Purple 10-40 instead of making an order for Amzoil. My Dad thinks there is a difference between motorcycle and automotive oils because of the additives. I think the Amzoil order catalog has seperate sections for automotive and motorcycles so people can find what they need easier but the oil is the same.
Can anyone shed some light on this.
Thank you,
Wes

gold-n-rod
10-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Just another question about motor oil.
I'm getting ready to change our new bikes (Honda 750 4-stroke) oil to synthetics. All new Harleys come with synthetic 20-50. The Honda manual says 10-40. No biggy, but I bought Royal Purple 10-40 instead of making an order for Amzoil. My Dad thinks there is a difference between motorcycle and automotive oils because of the additives. I think the Amzoil order catalog has seperate sections for automotive and motorcycles so people can find what they need easier but the oil is the same.
Can anyone shed some light on this.
Thank you,
Wes

In the older Hondas, it needed to be a special 4 cycle oil because the oil did double duty in the transmission. Don't know about them new fangled ones.

another Randy

txtaz
10-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks Randy, I will call the dealership and see what they say.
Wes

Cuda
10-29-2004, 06:17 PM
There is an exhaustive thread on another site about syn oil. The guy that did the research decided that Mobil1 V Twin was the very best oil out there. No personal experience with it myself.

Bad-Tat
10-29-2004, 10:10 PM
I have run Amsoil in motorcycles for the last 25 years without any problems. Way before the MC specific oil. Those have a bit less additive for those that think the clutch might slip. I can say from personal experience that clutches don't slip in,
Valkryie, VTR 1000, XR 650L, SRX600, F650GSD, 2001 Boonieville, T100R, FT500, XR50. CB750 vintage race bike. And that's just the current stable. As you can see a few of those are high torque machines with no hint of clutch slippage. I use series 2000 20w-50 in all of them.
The new Hondas are the same as the older ones with the same oil in engine and trans. At least the street bikes.
Put in the syn of your choice and enjoy the ride. Keep the rubber side down!!