PDA

View Full Version : Slient Choice 16

Eddie Mucciolo
10-28-2004, 12:39 PM
My wife an I would like to purchase a new 16. Looking at the Donzi website we noticed the option for silent choice deleated from the options list. Is this not a factory option for the boat? If the boat has thru hull can this be added without a major mechanical effort? We would like the option for night time and no wake cruises.

MOP
10-28-2004, 01:04 PM
My wife an I would like to purchase a new 16. Looking at the Donzi website we noticed the option for silent choice deleated from the options list. Is this not a factory option for the boat? If the boat has thru hull can this be added without a major mechanical effort? We would like the option for night time and no wake cruises.

If you are reasonably handy it can be done in a day working slow, it is not very machanical. You will need tips and diverters, several choices out there including used items off Ebay.

Phil

RedDog
10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
If you are reasonably handy it can be done in a day working slow, ...
Phil

wouldn't you have to pull the engine to install the y-pipe (or whatever it is called)?

Rootsy
10-28-2004, 01:25 PM
wouldn't you have to pull the engine to install the y-pipe (or whatever it is called)?

NAAHHH a sawsall, some hose and a few hose clamps, tube or two of 5200 should take care of that little roadblock :boggled: :eek: :rolleyes:

MOP
10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Ok Ok I did not know the late model 16 came with through hull mine did'nt, and there was no mention of it in the post. There are a few fairly late ones out here but none with TH. That makes the job a bitch and a lot more hours Hmm not worth it, quieter switchable tips may be the way to go.

MOP

boxy
10-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Ok Ok I did not know the late model 16 came with through hull mine did'nt, and there was no mention of it in the post. There are a few fairly late ones out here but none with TH. That makes the job a bitch and a lot more hours Hmm not worth it, quieter switchable tips may be the way to go.

MOP

If the boat has thru hull can this be added without a major mechanical effort?

Phil I think this was the sentence you were looking for. I think it is a much more involved process to add thru-hub exhaust to a thru-hull boat than the other way around.

Eddie, you may want to look into Corsa's Quick'N'Quiet system, or something similar.
http://www.corsaperf.com/mbrochure2.htm

MOP
10-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks Boxy! Duh! Did not catch that :smash: should'nt be on the phone or what ever and read more carefully :cartman:

boxy
10-29-2004, 07:40 AM
No worries, but now here's the question, do you have to pull the motor to mount thru-hub exhuast ??

RedDog
10-29-2004, 08:28 AM
May be Eddie should buy one that is stock or already thru-hub and then add the diverters and through-hull. Seems that would be a lot easier

RNELEMS
10-29-2004, 05:30 PM
The factory told me that captain's call would not fit in a 16,that is the reason it is not offered as a factory option like the 18 and 22. I assume that to be correct. Even it it would fit the engine would have to be pulled if the boat has factory thru hull exhaust because there will be a block off plate where the y-pipe has to go. Best solution would be some of the switchable mufflers that mount outside the boat,several brands are available.

boxy
10-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Thanks Robert.

Eddie Mucciolo
10-31-2004, 08:05 AM
Thank you all for the information. I will research the options.

The Hedgehog
10-31-2004, 08:35 AM
There is a guy here in Louisville that has added through hull to a through hub system on a Sweet 16. This was obviously complete with diverters.

I have been told that if you want to add a switchable system to a through hull that you will have to pull the motor to install the hub.

I am having it done to my father's boat this winter. I have some pics of the process somewhere.

scott snider
10-31-2004, 12:17 PM
If you order your boat with thu the prop exhaust you can probably install a silent choice system your self with out to much difficulty.If you order a boat with thru the hull exhaust you would definitly have to locate a y-pipe and pull the engine out to install it.

RNELEMS
10-31-2004, 12:33 PM
The problem as it was explained to me is that the Corsa diverter rams are on the outside of the pipes and the 16 engine hatch is too small to allow clearance under the deck with the rams outside. Not saying it cannot be done but seems to me that if it can then Donzi would offer it as a factory option as they do on the 18 and 22. Doesn't make sense not to offer it for no reason,and their reason is apparently that it will not fit. Just my thoughts.

slick
10-31-2004, 07:13 PM
My 1997 Sweet 16' Classic came from the facory with thru prop or hub exhaust and I had a local shop install Corsa Switchable System Thru Transome to Thru Prop or Hub. More Pictures are available on request to be e-mailed or look in Donzi For Sale Section listed under 1997 16' Classic For Sale.

fasttrucker
10-31-2004, 08:04 PM
Buy my used corsca Quick+quiet off my 1998 502.Ill sell the set for $750 or make me an offer.Been sitting for two years in storage.want to sell fast>I had to remove it because of the cam upgrade.