PDA

View Full Version : windows XP firewall probs

rag top man
10-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I have a new computer that came with XP. when i'm on Yahoo Instant messenger and try to send a picture to a friend, THEY get a message that says something like "Sender is behind a firewall, cant get pic..." or close to that.
I also run a recently expired version of Norton virus protection.
any idea why the picture sending prob??? XP or Norton, or both together?
thanks in advance,
rag top

MOP
10-27-2004, 06:28 PM
I posted a few helpful links in the Zone Alarm Pro' & Con's post, maybe you can find a little help. I think I will leave SP2 on the shelf and just run a good firewal and AV, SP2 seems to have a few nasty issues, on one tech site they advised not using it unless you were up to the task of working through all of its ups and downs.

Phil

txtaz
10-28-2004, 04:29 AM
Ragtop,
In the advanced features of the firewall, you need to open the port that IM uses to send files. I don't know what number that is since I don't use IM, but you can probably find it on Yahoo help.
Phil, I installed SP2 on the laptop and have not had any problems so far. I did notice several extra processes running but have yet to track them down to see what they do. To me it seems a little bloaty though.
Wes

mattyboy
10-28-2004, 08:57 AM
oh the problems are coming just wait

gotta love Bill Gates :rolleyes:

mattyboy
10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
3 out of 5 machines love XP sp2 !!!!
I love windows XP xtra problems
http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=23905071

txtaz
10-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Matty, Good link. This certinly isn't the first time MS changed things so that 3RD party software failed. In the development comunity, it takes a few days for the changes to be made know and work arounds developed. Some clients get really upset when their mission critical apps stop working. But what can you do but live with it since almost everyone is using MS OS.
I think I will wait on upgrading the other computers but I bet the extra problems are good for your business.
Have a good one.
Wes

Yellowdonzi67
11-01-2004, 08:55 PM
SP2 Firewall may as well just say Hey hackers, Come on in! If you want good protection, go with a hardware firewall, that means an actually physical box between your computer and your modem. Those of you on dial up need not worry, a software (program) firewall will be just fine but for those on cable, dsl, or other high speed the best way to go is with the hardware FW. Many of you probly already have one in the form of a router, which is the best way to go. You can get one for 50 bucks, i reccomend LinkSys. It will also give you the ability to split your connection to up to 4 or 8 computers. Also it lets you share files between these computers effortlessly. No more disks and wasted cds.