PDA

View Full Version : Cooling water path

TBroccoli
10-25-2004, 10:12 AM
I've got a 1996 454 mag with bravo 1 drive, Captain's choice exhaust. Why is some (most of) my cooling water exiting at the bottom of my outdrive connection to the transom??? It doesn't matter if I have the exhaust going thru transom or thru prop it is still mostly coming out of 2 ports at the bottom of the transom connection, just below the exhaust bellows.
WHY?? WHY??? WHY???

RedDog
10-25-2004, 10:36 AM
gravity

TBroccoli
10-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Gravity?? I don't get it. I thought the cooling water path was exiting through the prop exhaust or the thru hull exhaust. I was unaware of a third path.

gcarter
10-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Red Dog's right.
The TEES in the Captain's Choice aren't water proof, and they're located on the bottom of the hoses. So the water runs down the bottom of the tees.

MOP
10-25-2004, 03:42 PM
The vavles in the diverters are located after the tubes going to the drive, so most of the water goes down the Y when running in either mode. In fact at idle speeds the hoses and tips get pretty hot if the exhaust is going out the transom there is so little flow for cooling.

Phil

TBroccoli
10-25-2004, 03:57 PM
If it doesn't go thru the thru transom why doesn't it all go through the prop? Does anyone have a water flow diagram that shows water path after leaving engine/exhaust manifold?

gcarter
10-25-2004, 04:14 PM
No diagram, but the water doesn't go through the prop either.
Instead, the path through the Gimbal housing has an upside down "U" shaped passageway and the water goes through these bottom channels and out two holes at the bottom on the outside of the transom.

TBroccoli
10-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Thank you Mr gcarter. I had that impression but I needed confirmation.

Thanks again, Tom