PDA

View Full Version : Any Car dealers on Board???

rchevelle71
10-25-2004, 09:25 AM
OK,

As some of you know, I am about to get laid off from my manufacturing job. Jobs in this field, with the pay I need to survive, are almost non existant in South Florida. I am not one to sit at home collecting a few measly $$ from unemployment(been working for 20 years, and never collected) just to survive, while waiting for the dream job to come to me, then panicking at the end of the 6 months when it doesnt show up, nor am I one to take a BS job at the Burger Joint, and start over from the bottom, BUT, I am thinking of trying something New, I know almost everything there is to know about Cars, Boats, and just about anything Mechanical. I have experience selling Auto Parts, I have done this part time for years when the need for extra $$$ arises, but realisticly, it just wouldnt pay enough to do it full time. I have thought about getting into the Real Estate gig, but you need to be licensed, and I just dont have the time for that right now, I have to get back to work ASAP. I believe the timing is right to get into something a little risky, I have a little $$ in the bank to carry me if things dont go as planned, but not enough to start my own Biz(it would take everything I have just to get started, and not have any cushion left over). I have seen several dealerships hiring, and one of them is where I bought my truck, Really Laid back place(salesmen wear shorts, and Polo shirts), but also High Volume. I realize I would have to work Evenings, weekends, but I am willing to do this..............

IF a guy can make a living doing this????

That is my question, I am not looking to get rich, but could a guy make a decent living at this???? I have a small house to pay for(lets say my mortgage is right around $1000/month), Truck Payment($300/month), Very Little credit card debt(refi just paid most of them off, but the Hurricanes made me spend some $$ on the house), Boat is actually paid for, but it still takes a little to maintain, and actually be able to use it(not like I'll have the time to run it). When I was a kid, Dad was a Mechanic at a GM dealer, and was drinkin' buddies with a few of the salesmen, they seemed to be doing OK, is this still true today, or is it all just punks pushing cars??? I know I have been to a few dealerships when I was buying my truck, and My Girlfriends Blazer last year, that left a bad taste in my mouth(rude salesmen that wouldnt work with me......AT ALL), but others that were polite as could be, and did all that they could to get me into what I wanted, I am only looking to go to work at the place that I have had good luck with, I personally go there each month to make my payment, since the truck was financed in house(at a rate better than I could find anywhere, even online), and I just like to look and see what they have in the showroom, always very polite. Thank you for any input you can provide.

Rick

Darrell
10-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Rick:

It just matters who you work for (what kind of pay plan) and how hard you want to work. My DonziGal will make over 60K this year and she is not the top salesperson at our dealership. Most dealerships demand that you work 60-70 hour week, so you have to do most of your boating on your one day off.

Darrell

roadtrip se
10-25-2004, 08:29 PM
I grew up hanging around my best friend's Dad's Ford store and have been in the business, more or less, most of my life.
I currently call on Ford for my company and it's a bear, but it's still my dream job.

Darrell hit it right on the head. Retail car sales can be a good way to make a living, but it all depends on the benevolence of the owner. You may have to move around to find a place that allows you to make money and takes care of their people. The good stores all do, but they aren't all good stores. Retail job also means retail hours, you got to be there when the customer wants to see you.

I made the jump out of the dealership and have never looked back selling dealer-oriented software, training, and a million other things for the same company for the past seventeen years. This company would have never hired me without the dealership experience.

Go into it with your eyes wide open, but money can be made in the car business.

Todd
"Once a car guy, always a car guy!"

ToonaFish
10-25-2004, 08:47 PM
It's the hardest easy job you'll ever have.

Anyone can sell a car. Making a living selling cars, dealing with never ending pressure, catering to the whims of customers... well, that's why there aren't that many elderly car salesmen.

Being a gearhead doesn't help a salesman's career. Having basic rudimentary product knowledge does.

Everyone will have a dry spell. Can you survive the mental and financial anguish of a month or more with virtually no income?

The hours stink. Your feet will never recover. New car smell loses it's attraction. (Used car smell means a better commission.)

But, it gets under your skin and you may not mind the itch. :D

Car guys are very special people. Despite the public's perception, they are remarkably intelligent, loyal, and generally honest. Even Todd.

Bunches,

Celene 'car guy emeritus'

Darrell
10-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Toona.....

After 22 years in the car business, it's nice to hear such kind words about our business, There are a lot of good honest people in the car business, it's a shame that the bad ones grab the public perception. Janet and I work for a great dealer, I have been with him almost 20 years and Janet is starting her 11th year. Still thinking about that 40 hour work week, I'am one the few folks that left the farm to have to work more hours. Besides knowing how much you are going to make is way overrated.

Darrell

Last Tango
10-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Rick,
I stood in your shoes two years ago exactly. I, too, am a car guy who thought it would be "fun" to sell cars. After interviewing a couple of dealerships who were more than happy to hire me, I chose to look elsewhere for a new career. I'm waaaay to honest a guy - I was told by one eager dealership that I would have to leave my morals at the door. I never went back there... for anything.
On the other hand, I meet truly nice, honest, professional salespeople in the car business all the time, and I happily give them my money because they made me feel good about the whole experience. What you should shop for is a dealership that has the right feel to YOU the potential buyer, and a product you are enthusiastic about. The best salespeople know the details about what they sell and are ready to answer even the most unusual questions (How big is the gas tank? What is the the right equipment to get the maximum tow rating?)
Although I did not go the car sales route, my resaons were totally selfish. I wasn't afraid to work long hours, but I hated the idea of giving up my weekends as long as I worked at a new car dealership, and having to put in super extra long hours on every 3-day holiday weekend (when I wanted to be boating with my Donzi friends) because that is when car dealers have their big factory blowout last chance overstocked $1 over factory invoice last 3 days sales weekends. But that is also when the customer is there, and that is when you make your money.
Try it. If you don't like that dealership, try another one. At least you will have the experience you are looking for, and see that world from the inside rather than the outside. You will also be able to meet customers who might be a network to a new career somewhere else.
Let us know how it goes.