PDA

View Full Version : Cooling question on an X-18/350/Volvo

Lenny
10-24-2004, 08:00 PM
I have a big "tub" that the drive sits in and getting/having enough water on hand for cooling is not an issue.

I was flushing it today and actually paying attention to what was going on :rolleyes: , anyways at idle ( <1000 rpm ) the port is always cool, very, just like the water feeding it, and the starboard is quite warm, not too hot but like a nice bath. Why ?

At about 1500 rpm in the tub the sides balance and they are both relatively the same heat. Also, steam in this current weather is only apparent on the starboard side at idle. The water flow thru the exhaust onto the ground is basically identical in volume. Oil pressure is about 40 at idle after warm and 60 running hot. No issues. Water temp guage works fine and after about an hour at 3000 + rpm I see about 120F MAX. Keep in mind I am in 42F degree water.

Any ideas why or should I even care?

Thanx in advance.

By the way, it runs GREAT !!!, I can see 60-ish GPS now with the Ultra. Now to get a left one. The boat has no issues anymore. :) other than steering and the need to get rid of the aftermarket weenie bar for the rear seat passengers :D .

MOP
10-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Len have you checked the T stat to make sure its working OK, could be hanging open a little, the engine should come up to the temp marked on the T stat. The cool manifold may mean the warmer one has some blockage, any idea how old they are?

Phil

mattyboy
10-25-2004, 06:57 PM
it's something similar to taking blood pressure readings they always try the right arm,
it's the way the water pumps if flow is the same at speed and temp the same and it doesn't spike, I wouldn't worry, you can always borrow a thermal reader and see if there are any hotspots,
mine at idle pumps alil more to port but at speed just about the same

Lenny
10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks Matty, like I said, there are no issues and no heat problems, just differences.

Thanx, I'll run her till I blow it up. Then maybe I will unbolt the Scorpion from the pallet and put her in. ;)

Marlin275
10-27-2004, 07:48 AM
At idle on the trailer flushing the engine,
mine does the same thing.
Cool on port.
No Problems.

There was a post about this long ago.
Somebody explained it.

mattyboy
10-27-2004, 08:57 AM
I think it has to do with the path of least resistance thingy, the rotation of the pump, and proximity to the equator so of course in the southern hemisphere they pump more to starboard :tongue:

Lenny I also noticed Kenny's 350 sbc produces more steam than my 351sbf under the same conditions and my engine runs warmer??? go figure