PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of a 22Z bowrider

gold-n-rod
10-24-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm considering a 22Z bowrider. What can y'all tell me about this model and the pros and cons. It has a MPI 300 SBC/Alpha 1 combo.

Your thoughts?

another Randy

BUIZILLA
10-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Personally, I like the Z22.. I wish the hell Donzi made that layout in a Z26. That black one in Virginia came within a coin toss of coming home with me. Real nice boat. I found a 252 Formula instead, but if I hadn't found the Formula, I would have probably bought that black Z22.

JH

Marlin275
10-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro- All the kids like to ride up in the bow.

Con- Probably the worst place to ride in a boat underway
Sea saw action big time
Busted lips, nose, on the rail, etc . . .
If they ever did fall out, do the math.

gold-n-rod
10-24-2004, 06:48 PM
This particular boat is an '02 or '03, whatever was the last year for the z22 bowrider.

Does anyone know if this boat has composite construction (stringers, etc.) or will it still have some wood in the hull?

Thanks in advance,

another Randy

gold-n-rod
10-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro- All the kids like to ride up in the bow.

Con- Probably the worst place to ride in a boat underway
Sea saw action big time
Busted lips, nose, on the rail, etc . . .
If they ever did fall out, do the math.

I had to chuckle at your reply and thought to myself, my kids are almost grown (14 and 19) and that won't be a problem. Then I realized, maybe in the next 10 years, I'll have to worry about grandkids bouncing out the bow seats!! :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the warning.

another Randy

Last Tango
10-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Pro: My buddy here in town had one for a couple years and it was the best darn boat ever for going places with friends. VERY comfortable and roomy and was excellent for flat water idling along, big water running, and for day trips to anywhere. Plenty of power with the 300hp combo. Tows stuff, and very easy to climb into and out. Nice entry from the ladder and swim step. I would have bought it myself when he sold it but I already had a C18 and Z3250 at the time. But I thought seriously about buying it anyway. I rode up front all the time and it was very comfortable. He truly misses it, but he is really a sailor at heart, not a powerboater. And it took two years in a Classic 16 and two years in the Z22 before he finally went back to a 30 foot cruiser/racer sailboat (and even then it was "thrust upon him" to sell the Z22 and start shopping for his next boat). He still attends Donzi events and haunts this website. Once a Donziman, always... And he still wears all his Donzi jackets and shirts even when he is sailing on his own boat, and wears his Donzi hats and sunvisors when cruising top down in his Porsche Boxster S.
I still often think about that boat and believe the Z22 bowrider is the ideal Donzi fun boat, but I just can't force myself to part with my C18 - the boy racer in me. Sad, really. My wife refuses to ride in the C18, but she always enjoyed the Z22 BR. By the way, when he was "toying" with the idea of MAYBE selling his Z22 for something else (he goes through boats faster than I go through Porsches) he just happened to CASUALLY and simply MENTION to the boat dealer at the marina that he MIGHT be THINKING about selling his Z22... the dealer called three days later with a solid buyer. Poor guy got an offer he couldn't refuse and then had to go boat shopping again. Buy then the Z22BR was out of production or he might have gone to the MX6.2MPI and some custom graphics in a newer version.
Con: Hmmmm...okay...It's not an offshore race boat. And it would have been cool if Donzi had put the speedo repeater in the bow like on the 28ZXO.

... damn... I wonder if there are any Z22's on boattraderonline.com right now.
Maybe I'll go have a look.

gold-n-rod
10-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Pro: My buddy here in town had one for a couple years and it was the best darn boat ever for going places with friends. VERY comfortable and roomy and was excellent for flat water idling along, big water running, and for day trips to anywhere. Plenty of power with the 300hp combo. Tows stuff, and very easy to climb into and out. Nice entry from the ladder and swim step. I would have bought it myself when he sold it but I already had a C18 and Z3250 at the time. But I thought seriously about buying it anyway. I rode up front all the time and it was very comfortable. He truly misses it, but he is really a sailor at heart, not a powerboater. And it took two years in a Classic 16 and two years in the Z22 before he finally went back to a 30 foot cruiser/racer sailboat (and even then it was "thrust upon him" to sell the Z22 and start shopping for his next boat). He still attends Donzi events and haunts this website. Once a Donziman, always... And he still wears all his Donzi jackets and shirts even when he is sailing on his own boat, and wears his Donzi hats and sunvisors when cruising top down in his Porsche Boxster S.
I still often think about that boat and believe the Z22 bowrider is the ideal Donzi fun boat, but I just can't force myself to part with my C18 - the boy racer in me. Sad, really. My wife refuses to ride in the C18, but she always enjoyed the Z22 BR. By the way, when he was "toying" with the idea of MAYBE selling his Z22 for something else (he goes through boats faster than I go through Porsches) he just happened to CASUALLY and simply MENTION to the boat dealer at the marina that he MIGHT be THINKING about selling his Z22... the dealer called three days later with a solid buyer. Poor guy got an offer he couldn't refuse and then had to go boat shopping again. Buy then the Z22BR was out of production or he might have gone to the MX6.2MPI and some custom graphics in a newer version.
Con: Hmmmm...okay...It's not an offshore race boat. And it would have been cool if Donzi had put the speedo repeater in the bow like on the 28ZXO.

... damn... I wonder if there are any Z22's on boattraderonline.com right now.
Maybe I'll go have a look.

Thanks, Mark, for the glowing recommendation. It looks like a pretty decent boat. I did a board search and there was one discussion about how the 300mpi/Alpha might be pushing it for such as heavy (!?!) boat. I do wonder why not the Bravo. Also, I am still wondering, "Does anyone know if the '02 z22BR had any wood in its construction or is it an all composite boat?"

Keep those opinions coming.

another Randy

mikev
10-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I have a 19' bowrider non step and never had a problem with the kids in the front getting hurt and were I boat it gets pretty rough on the weekends. Kids love it gives you a lot more room and it actualy rides smoother in the rough water with people in the front a lot less pounding the extra weight helps the bow cut through the chop. Someday when its in the budget i would love to move up to the z22. also I love to fish and i can fish quite well from the front of the bowrider saves me from having to buy a bass boat as well.