PDA

View Full Version : NEW Performance trailer

kjly63
10-18-2004, 12:41 PM
:checkered Now my boat is complete with the new trailer. I was embarassed :lookaroun trialering around on the old Magic Tilt trailer. The trailer is custom made for this boat and WOW what a great job this Co. does.
I did find out the hard way about the electric brakes.......got stuck backing up in my neighbors driveway :rolleyes: .....now I know why there are 5 leads in the wiring harness; the 5th lead disengages the brakes while backing up :p

ken

MOP
10-18-2004, 01:50 PM
I went through that with my Dodge, I got the factory trailer harness which has the wire doubled back inside the sheath so you could not see it. I was going to cut into back up light circuit, but happened to look inside sheath saved the day. By the way very nice looking trailer.

Phil

daboys
10-19-2004, 07:52 AM
I also have a performance trailor (Lake George) great trailor. Never noticed a problem backing up -the trailor has brakes. Have not counted the wires but have a standard wireing harness for a 1999 Ford Expeidition - came with trailor tow package on vehicle. What am I missing - what should I look for and if I have 5 wires on the trailor but 4 on harness what do I do - thanks

kjly63
10-19-2004, 09:43 AM
:rolleyes: The 5th lead dissengages the electric solonoid when in reverse. My tuck has both the 4 wire flat and round connector. I bought a round to 5 wire adaptor and all works fine. If in a bind; you can put the 5th connector pin into the socket closest to the ground on the car side. It looke like a T and this will also disengage the solonoid when backing up a hill.

I thought I had trailers figured out until now :crossfing

Kenny

Ranman
10-19-2004, 12:01 PM
I thought electric brakes on a boat trailer is a no no. Thought most boat trailers have surge brakes since electricity and water don't mix :shocking: . Would someone elaborate?

RedDog
10-19-2004, 12:10 PM
I thought electric brakes on a boat trailer is a no no. Thought most boat trailers have surge brakes since electricity and water don't mix :shocking: . Would someone elaborate?

He is actually referring to surge disk brakes with a electrically activated bypass solenoid that is activated when you shift into reverse - the circuit is no different than your trailer lights. In fact, in many cases it is just wired into the vehicle back up light circuit. Without the bypass you cannot back a trailer that has disk brakes unless you manually lock out the surge coupler. If you have drum brakes you can back up without the bypass. Drum brakes are typically only most efficient in the forward direction so you can back up without them stopping you. When backing you are essentially activating (compressing) the surge coupler.

kjly63
10-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Reddog,

:smile: I couldn't have said it any better........thanks for the clarificaion.

Ranman
10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Now that makes sense. Thanks for the lesson!