PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Props ??

Sam
10-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Has anyone tried a Ballistic prop, they sure have a different blade design.

Sam

Tomahawk
10-19-2004, 07:31 AM
I have and they suck. They sent me three of them to try. They were slow, ventillated and the rpm's didn't make sense with the different pitches provided. They look pretty wild though. For what it's worth, they are made in Mexico. The tests I did were done about six years ago so, might not be valid today. Be cautious.

Rootsy
10-19-2004, 08:08 AM
When i spoke last with Throttle-Up they enlightened me on the various propeller manufacturers and "tolerances" and such... michigan wheel ranked very low on out of the box performance in thier book for what that is worth... Precision prop and hydromotive (1 in the same) were at the top for mass produced propellers.. with mercury bringing up the middle... others scattered in between...

can't say as i've ever run a michigan wheel of any type therefore i cannot truly comment on performance charactaristics...

why dontcha give a 3 blade hydromotive O/B prop a try.. i've never spun one but i sure wanna...

JR

Zigouras Racing
10-19-2004, 10:20 AM
The newer ones seem to be getting better. I tired a set a few year ago, and I wasn't impressed with the performance. The newer ones seem to be better, because I bought a new set for both my boats, and I liked the results. Mid-range jumps seemed to be a little more crisp, with better response.

The only downside that I can see, is that they require a lot of horsepower to work properly. It seems like the more power you feed them, the smoother they work. Has anyone else noticed this?

- Paul

Walt. H.
10-19-2004, 11:26 AM
I currently run one on my Carlson and I picked up 1.5 mph over my older style Merc quicksilver S/S prop in the same pitch, its a faster, lighter prop due to being thinner over their Rapture model but easier to damage because of that. But heck if your going to hit something bent is still bent.
Anyway I too have been told there's better out there even the new Merc performance stuff is suppose to be faster then any Mich product, its all about how much your willing to spend in time and money experimenting.

But like a "Merc cleaver prop" it does look trick hanging off the drive unit. :checkered :biggrin:

Walt