PDA

View Full Version : The $1.00 Donzi

Jong30
10-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am the proud owner of a 1967 Donzi 28 Sportsman. I found this boat in Vermilion, Ohio. The boat was there for at least 10 years and I have a history with it. At the time I found it I was restoring a 26' sailboat and stood on this boat next to me while sanding mine. It looked so good that after two years I went aboard unauthorized and looked around. At the time it had no motors in it and needed work, but she was beautiful. I didn't have money for her at the time, nor did I know who owned her. 10 years later I'm flipping through a yacht magazine and saw the boat in the same town. At this time I could afford her. After a survey and negotiations I decided not to buy due to needing new bulkheads. The female owner called back two months later and said she would lower the price but I still couldn't buy it and repair it. Two days later she called and said I want you to have it since you were the only one interested and we had a history. Since then the bulkheads have been replaced along with a new head job on one motor. I put in Labor Day 04 and the thing is a screamer. She settles in at 30mph but tops out at 45mph with twin inboard 350 Crusaders. When I orig. looked at this boat in 4-04 several people helped with info. I didn't save there email addresses but thanks alot. I've heard of about 5 still in existence and would like to know how many were pproduced. This thing is a beauty and I will post a picture within days. I need some new interior work but the hull was repainted and looks new. I've seen pictures of the origs. and the only thing different is that they took out the portholes and had them glassed over. I think she looks more sleak and modern this way even though not orig. Any info would be helpful. This thing is the talk at every marina I visit. It's the end of the season on lake Erie but do they have Donzi runs or rondezvous on lake Erie?

MOP
10-14-2004, 10:58 PM
They are neet boat to watch run in a good chop that I have always liked, there are 3 out in this neck of the woods in varying condition. One is being restored by a friend of mine, he grabbed it for and will do it top to bottom. The other two are owned by two brothers guy my age, one is being used but looks its age the other dies not get wet much its stock and nice lives on its trailer. None are for sale I have asked.

Phil

boxy
10-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Jon, here is a link to your original thread, all the names of the people that helped you the first time are there.
Good luck. :D
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=277915#post277915

Fish boy
10-15-2004, 01:13 PM
congratulations, and good luck with the restoration. Post some pics if you get a chance of your progress, we would love to see them. Really neat boat and a great find. Congrats,

fish

falcon
10-16-2004, 12:07 AM
concerning your performance #'s--can you supply more details

transmission ratio
size of props
weight of boat
rpm at cruise and wot