PDA

View Full Version : Plastic, waterproof (resistant) tool box???

Lenny
10-14-2004, 12:36 PM
I just bought about $500. worth of Proto tools and such, for the boat, to keep with me and/or with the boat. Sockets/screwdrivers/combination wenches/Allen keys/ plier sets/duct tape/WD-40, strippers/crimps, hose clamps, you name it. Anyways, this is to leave in the truck or boat if going away for long rides or travelling to strange places. I am looking for something in non-marking plastic and preferably a gasket around the perimeter of the lid. I there such a thing?

I bought this so that the boat shop can keep its' tools in it, and the wood shop, well I don't EVER want any of its' tools seeing "grease or oil" and this just seemed to be the best alternative and it will be good for travelling. This whole works fits into a small-ish area and other than the sockets, they can all fold into their vinyl pouches and take little room. the goal is to be able to store it either on top of the battery under the rear seat with a divider of course, or in the "cooler" between the front seats.

Any ideas of who makes something suitable?

Fish boy
10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
lenny,
probably not what you are looking for but I use a nylon tool bag with a rubber coated bottom. It zips closed. Not water proof, but I have not gotten water inside either. Water resistant coating. It is easy to carry, and seems to be less harsh on the boat than a hard tool box.

boxy
10-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Lenny, check out Pelican cases, I carry my laptop in one, it's damn near bombproof, and was waterproof enough to withstand a weekend with the Bandits, and HabbaMasta.
http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

I've always found Ackland Grainger to have good prices, and a good supply on hand...

Victoria:
Acklands-Grainger Inc.
2015 Government Street
Victoria, British Columbia, V8T 4N9
Email/Feedback
Tel (250) 384-1111
Fax (250) 384-2800

roadtrip se
10-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Orange, non-marring plastic with a hinged lid complete with rubber gasket. I've had one for years, looks kind of like a dive box.

todd

Lenny
10-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Boxy, that is where I bought all the stuff this morning. :D

Todd, thanks, I will look into it. Thanx.

Formula Jr
10-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Lenny, go with the box that Todd is suggesting. I've looked those over and they are pretty sturdy. You need something "Water Proof."
It really, really sucks if salt has gotten in to your tool stash and you didn't know it for a while. It adds up replacing all that stuff. :banghead:

Ed Donnelly
10-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Buy a cheap plastic tool box from Canadian Tire. Seal the lid seam with duct tape. Now waterproof and cheap....Ed

ToonaFish
10-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Buy a cheap plastic tool box from Canadian Tire. Seal the lid seam with duct tape. Now waterproof and cheap....Ed

And duct tape adds that Southern touch that bespeaks of foreign travels...

Lenny
10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
I bought this box today. It is perfect, fits all the stuff, (obviously there is a limit to how much you can carry on a small boat) anyways, it sits on top of the Battery under the rear seat in the compartment with the seat down fine. It is water-resistent, has a hatch on top, large interior and basically it is perfect. Thanx all, I was unaware that they made stuff like this. I paid $33. taxes in Can$ so figure about $25. US. This is obviously a great price listed below. :)

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=454398