PDA

View Full Version : 18 Classic vs 22 Classic

DonziEd
10-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Looking to purchase a 18 or 22 classic. I like the 18 because of the small block and easer to maintain. Is there much difference in the ride in a 2 foot chop. Does the windshield on the 18 help block the wind? Any other info would help.

donzi182003
10-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Hey DonziEd i own a 2003 18 classic 350 mpi and my uncle owns a 2004 40th anniversary 22 with a 496. The biggest difference between the two is freeboard. The 18 is lower on the sides but it still has a very dry ride. To my surprise the 18 is easier to handle at WOT than the 22. I beleive that the 496 package is too much power fior that boat. When you leave the water it has way too much prop torque, scary at times. My 18 does about 69-70 with 1 rider on a good day and the 22 does 75 on a good day with 2 people.I am talking about Monster Guage speed readings not gps. I beleive the 18 is a more stable ride. If you are looking to go offshore frequently i would go for the 22, but if you just want to cruise in the bay occasional offshore then the 18 is the boat for you. It is more maneuverable. I also have a 25 Contender so i like the fact that it is a smaller boat. Also the 22 burns about 50% more fuel than i do on the same trip which is something to consider. The windshield on the 18 does nothing but neither does the one on the 22. They are there for looks IMO.

DonziEd
10-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Hey DonziEd i own a 2003 18 classic 350 mpi and my uncle owns a 2004 40th anniversary 22 with a 496. The biggest difference between the two is freeboard. The 18 is lower on the sides but it still has a very dry ride. To my surprise the 18 is easier to handle at WOT than the 22. I beleive that the 496 package is too much power fior that boat. When you leave the water it has way too much prop torque, scary at times. My 18 does about 69-70 with 1 rider on a good day and the 22 does 75 on a good day with 2 people.I am talking about Monster Guage speed readings not gps. I beleive the 18 is a more stable ride. If you are looking to go offshore frequently i would go for the 22, but if you just want to cruise in the bay occasional offshore then the 18 is the boat for you. It is more maneuverable. I also have a 25 Contender so i like the fact that it is a smaller boat. Also the 22 burns about 50% more fuel than i do on the same trip which is something to consider. The windshield on the 18 does nothing but neither does the one on the 22. They are there for looks IMO.
Donzi182003,

I'm looking at a 2003 18 Classic with the 350 Mag, with only 20 hrs with matching trailer. Is 25K a good price?

How does your 18 handle in a 2 foot chop?

Hotspare
10-14-2004, 11:51 AM
DonziEd .... Greeting's ,,,,, The 22 is a bigger, faster & I think, safer boat to run .... (I own a 22 and have driven 18's a few times) We run in 2ft and better chop with the 22 and it's a blast ..... We've run 18's in similar conditions and I'll tell ya ,,,,, It'll seperate the boy's from the men real quick ....... It really (I think) depends on the intensity of the ride in (2ft chop) you can handle ...... It's no problem for the boat though, she's rock solid in all that stuff .... As far as the windshield, it's just a wind deflector .... But you'll sit lower in the 22 so it's (mo better) in that aspect ..... But as far as the fun factor goes ........ You'd be hard pressed to beat the 18 ,,,, Just hang on ..... Bruce.

donzi182003
10-14-2004, 12:54 PM
DonziEd,
I bought my 2003 18 with quick and quiet exhaust, gaffrig depthsounder,Monster Guages, 350 mpi alpha and 2004 trailer and i had 2.1 hours on the motor.

SINCERELY,
ANOTHER ED

roadtrip se
10-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Welcome and now comes the fun part... figuring out what you want 18 or 22.

Do a search on the archives, as this topic comes up quite often here, and a lot of people have provided great feedback.

It really is personal preference. I'm six foot four and the 18 just isn't comfortable to me. The 22 is just right.

As for power, the 502 wasn't enough. I pulled that out, installed a 500EFI, steering, and a multitude of other stuff, and never looked back. Dangerous? I guess it could be in the wrong hands, but I love it!

Good luck with your search!

Todd

dclassic
10-14-2004, 04:31 PM
We have been tormented by the 18 vs 22 question for months ourselves. Either one would be great in my opinion. We chose the 22 because we found one that was just right. The 22 was also voted the best choice for the body of water we will be on (by registry members). Either the 18 or 22 is a great choice in my opinion but each is surprisingly different. Try them both in conditions where you plan to use it and see which you prefer. We still plan on getting an 18 in the future as the only good solution is to have both:biggrin.: .

As far as price, we have searched high and low for several months and if you found a clean 2003 18 for $25K that makes you happy I say go for it. I looked at 2 2003's listed for 28 and 30. Only one was truly nice and bottom line was $26K. I thought that was very fair. Prices are in a big range so I looked at equipment and condition and made a judgement call as to value. I am very fussy and would gladly pay more for a clean boat. If the boat is truly exceptional in any meaningful way, toss the NADA figure and decide if it has value for you. Enjoy your hunt and hope to see you on the water.:shades:

DonzigoJR
10-14-2004, 04:47 PM
DonziEd I replied to you over on the scream and fly boards. I was playing here only to find that your serious about Donzi. I have a 22 Classic that is for Sale. If you would like to talk further then give me a ring at 727-692-6971. Ill send you some pics. The boat is more then a great deal for the money.....

I look forward to talking to you......

Barry Phillips
10-15-2004, 11:34 AM
This is a very common subject on this site. My first Donzi was a Classic 18, 250hp 350, and Bravo 1 drive, with a windshield. This was a fun simple boat, which ran 65mph with 2 aboard, confirmed. The 18s can turn on a dime, hole shot is instantaneous, and runs well in 2' chop. The down side is the windshield is useless, and is not that dry in the really rough stuff.

My current ride is a 22 with a 496 Mag, which will run 70mph with 2 aboard and 50 gallons of full. The fuel injected 496 is a nice turn key motor, fires up just like your car. 4.5 more feet running length gives the 22 longer legs in rough stuff, although a 22 is not really not that large of a boat in some of the conditions I encounter. The 22 is more tab reliant than an 18 and not quite as maneuverable but due to it's reverse chines the ride is a lot dryer. The 22s are also as easy to load and unload and tow as the 18 although a V8 tow vehicle with strong brakes is my preference. I would have ordered the 496HO but I found a deal that was to good to pass up.

If you go for an 18 with a 350Mag, up grade to a Bravo 1, dealers like to order 350 equpped18s with Alfas to keep the price down. On the 6.2 the Bravo is standard. Good luck.

DoTheMath
10-15-2004, 11:46 AM
DE~
This is a debate that could rage forever... which I guess is a good thing? I recently purchased an '04 18 w/ 350 Mag & Bravo 1 and it is a blast! I bought it from a private party this past July, it had 27 hours on it and it was SPOTLESS! I paid under $30k for it, and felt it was a good buy for me. I am on a 44k acre lake in NH, and it can get snotty, I have had no reservations about taking this boat out on all but the very worst of days, (1 this summer). There is a learning curve with either boat, the 18 I feel more so then the 22, but once you find that groove, it is so rewarding! I sold a 27 Formula, and bought this as an interim boat, and have found that I - and my wife - enjoy this boat more than the Formula. That's not to say that I am not still shopping, but I can't see ever selling this boat. It's not the best family boat, or take a bunch of friends out for the day boat, but it is prob. the most fun you'll have in a boat, boat. It reminds me of a classic roadster, kind of brings you back to the roots of boating. I have a prop change and a little bigger trim tabs on the board as winter changes and I feel that this will get me out on that one day that was too snotty this past summer!;)

So, I'd drive both, if you can, and make your decision from there. Go with your gut and I don't feel that you can go wrong with either one. I have had several people stop me at the docks and ask me about the boat, I always get the "that boat was always on my list to buy" comment, kinda funny. I even got an envious comment from a guy and his wife in a new 38' Sonic - go figure!?:biggrin.:

Best of luck in your quest.

MOP
10-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I have an 86 22C with a 350 Tempest SB with headers runs just over 60 WOT just me and fuel, hope to get it into the upper 60's by spring. I have run with a BB 22C buddy honest I feel mine is more nimble and handles better. The difference between the 16 and 18 is again that much better in a 22, they do say Size Matters! You need to get out on the same water with both boats on the same day.

Phil

mattyboy
10-15-2004, 09:27 PM
I have an 86 22C with a 350 Tempest SB with headers runs just over 60 WOT just me and fuel, hope to get it into the upper 60's by spring. I have run with a BB 22C buddy honest I feel mine is more nimble and handles better. Phil

Funny that's not what I saw at 1000 islands ! :tongue: :jestera: ;)

half shell
10-16-2004, 03:49 PM
DonziEd I am also looking at the 18v22. I may have to sell my current boat in order to make it happen. Something for me to work on over the winter.
Regards Bob

gero1
10-16-2004, 09:15 PM
did he really say two much power?????

gero1
10-16-2004, 09:30 PM
i went back and re- read it, he really said it!!!!!!

John W
10-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Nice discussion. I have traded my 16 claasic for the 22. I just skipped over the 18 due to size constraints and the price was right on the 22. Living on the Chesapeake Bay, I want to do more than ride up and down the Severn river. So I opted for the 22 classic, with the 496, with the captains choice, and of course the red matching trailer. Plus having more room with friends( to help with the fuel costs) is also a plus. Cannot wait to get the boat . i go to pick up the New Wild Style Tomorrow.
JW :yippie:

Dr. Dan
10-17-2004, 09:13 AM
:shades: Congrats John....next Season we can definitely get together....the Severn has some major wakes from all of the "Under Privaledged Boat Owners" in the area cruising in their Monster Yachts!

Pics when ya get some?

Doc :spongebob

Rootsy
10-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Unfortunatley, you need both..

The 18 for those "I just want to run my go-cart and have a blast" days...

The 22 for those "I just want to run my GT cruiser and have a blast" days...

Sorry, have run both, the SB 22 is fun, the BB 22 is awesome... Course, some of them can't seem to pass my lil 18, which in turn can't seem to pass JaRoots' lil 16, which in turn can't seem to pass 'trips 22... Apparently the circle of life is complete... :D :D :D

I SHALL break the circle :splat: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

JR - skunkworks... whoooo me???? :idea:

Rootsy
10-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Maybe, but then the circle comes back round to the 18's.. Geooo is next, happy trails!!!

CRAP... :rolleyes:

undertaker
10-17-2004, 11:40 AM
JohnW not to be nosey :bonk: were did you purchase this boat, there was a sweet Red 22 classic with red trailer :biggrin.: for sale on the Ohio area when I talked to the dealer last week he said the boat is Sold. Just curious!! :wavey:

roadtrip se
10-17-2004, 12:53 PM
He said it, he areally said it....

But then again the Powerboat writers said the SE 500EFI they ran out to a whooping 74 mph was "over-powered" and "dangerous", and would be more "balanced" with "less power". All that article did was make me want to try it that much more.

And as they say, the rest is history...

So Jamie, what are you up to man? Do I need to go visit my friend Mike D'annibelle or the Viper dudes at Illimor? Your skunk works would be the best thing to happen around here...
been a little boring lately!

Todd

"Hello, Tyler Crockett, there seems to be a bit of a horespower war brewing within the MADCOW ranks!"

Rootsy
10-17-2004, 01:43 PM
He said it, he areally said it....

But then again the Powerboat writers said the SE 500EFI they ran out to a whooping 74 mph was "over-powered" and "dangerous", and would be more "balanced" with "less power". All that article did was make me want to try it that much more.

And as they say, the rest is history...

So Jamie, what are you up to man? Do I need to go visit my friend Mike D'annibelle or the Viper dudes at Illimor? Your skunk works would be the best thing to happen around here...
been a little boring lately!

Todd

"Hello, Tyler Crockett, there seems to be a bit of a horespower war brewing within the MADCOW ranks!"

ahem.. you NEVER can tell with me todd... tis a looooooong boring winter after huntin and christmas ;)

JR

"hello, Kevin, how long did you say it'd take to get that screw again???"

Be afraid lil alpha.. be veeeeeeery afraid... :angryfire

John W
10-17-2004, 03:11 PM
JohnW not to be nosey :bonk: were did you purchase this boat, there was a sweet Red 22 classic with red trailer :biggrin.: for sale on the Ohio area when I talked to the dealer last week he said the boat is Sold. Just curious!! :wavey:

Thats the one , best prices on new boats around!! This is the second one from him. Bobby is great to do business with.
JW

undertaker
10-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Congrats :yes: I looked at that boat for a few months on Boat Trader It looked real nice in the pics. I will keep that dealer in mind when I pull the trigger on a 22 Classic :biggrin: Good luck with her. Maybe we'll see you on the bay sometime. :beer: