PDA

View Full Version : Shipwreck Museum website..................

Sport
10-13-2004, 03:04 PM
My folks were at The Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society Museum at the Whitefish Point Light Station last week and got me a t-shirt and some other info about the place, pretty cool reading. Just thought I'd share the site with you. Read the "Shipwreck Stories" section, very interesting first hand accounts of ships going down on the Great Lakes. I was there in 1984 but they did not have the Edmund Fitzgerald bell at that point, now that is something I'd like to see after hearing all of the stories.

www.ShipwreckMuseum.com

Sport

Lenny
10-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Neat site. great stories. :yes:

Rootsy
10-13-2004, 09:09 PM
And If you ever find yourself not too far from the shipwreck museum in the town of Sault St. Marie, Michigan visit the Valley Camp. She is a retired ore freighter turned into museum with a lot of interesting things. including one of the "Fitz's" life boats and bouys anchored over the wreck... both pretty much destroyed...

I've been to the shipwreck museum a couple of times and have seen the Fitzgerald's bell and such... the museum sits on the shore of Lake Superior at Whitefish Point and contains a whole lotta COOL and sombering artifacts, stories and history... It is a long ride to pretty much no where, ironically, North of Paradise... yes that is the truth.. North of Paradise... Paradise, Michigan that is ;)

The UP suprisingly has a few pretty good museums dedicated to the history of the area... fishing, logging, mining (iron and copper) and boating...

JR - Adopted Yooper :)