PDA

View Full Version : Well, the time had come to change "Big D"

Donzigo
10-12-2004, 07:32 PM
OK, so I waited long enough...............so, last weekend, I took the entire inside of the cabin and upholstery out of my Z-33. That means, when you open the hatch and look in, there's nothing but fiberglass showing top to bottom. Today, I bought 40 yards of pearl white foam backed material and have great plans to change the inside to something very special. Premier, in Sarasota, is doing all my difficult stuff and I am doing the headliner, sides, carpet and carpentry work. Stay tuned, I've been working on some pretty neat plans for a while now and am excited to put them into action. If you want me to, I'll send some pictures as the work goes along.

Here's the outside, the inside will be the same color.

Cuda
10-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Richard, where did you buy the foam backed material? I want to put it in my 302.

Cuda
10-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Btw, I opened this thread with trepidation, I was afraid you meant you were going to sell Big D. :shocking:

I was afraid the DGjr had corrupted you and you were moving into an STV. :)

MOP
10-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Damn I had my heart in my throat when I read the title, I thought you were trading up or something. That would be damn near sacrilegious at this point in your life, there is only one DONZIGO! Thankfully I was wrong!!! Looking forward to your updates and progress!

Phil

Donzigo
10-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Cuda, I'm never selling "BIG D", never, never, never. My burial plans say that I am to be cremated and sprinkled out in the water at Marker 19 off of St. pete, so I can swim with the dolphins for eternity. Now, how can I possible sell my personal Donzi boat-hearse?

Donzigo Jr. went over to Kissimmee last weekend and saw 96.7 on the GPS in his 18 ft Talon. He's the one that going to punch his ticket. Too fast for me, dude. We made a trip ove to Bob's Machine shop to replace his lower unit, on Monday. He took some of the fiberglass off the sides of the lower unit.............a quick $350. It costs money to go fast, yes?

Go to BEACON FABRICS on the web. They are in St. Pete. They have foam backed material.

Fish boy
10-12-2004, 08:55 PM
richard, I thought the same thing as Cuda... glad to hear Big D is becoming even more beautiful. Love to see pics and learn more about what you are doing.

Don't understand the trip to bob's though, it had a bob's on it already from what I recall. Yes it does take money to go fast, but it sure is a helluva lot cheaper with an outboard to reach the century mark. BTW, i know someone who is not too far behind Jr. ;)

Cuda
10-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Richard, how to you plan on attaching it to the headliner?

Cuda
10-12-2004, 09:07 PM
One of the reasons it scared me to open this thread is I even mentioned selling my 302 yesterday. :eek:

DonzigoJR
10-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Come on now guys my good old man wouldnt do something like sell my boat :crossfing ........;)

Yes the Talon will be over the century mark before Christmas :shocking: Fish the lower unit is not being replaced, but the epoxy chipped from the sides while running last weekend in Kissimmee. Bobs is now going to replace the nose-cone that was originally put on 15 years ago!!!! That is nothing short of a testimonial to the great work they do.....

Dad Im sure ill be getting a call to help so Ill be there as usual in approx fifteen minutes;) Guys I know the secret and It is going to look awesome......

McGary911
10-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Glad to see the big D getting some fresh innards! If it turns out anything like the rest of the interior, it'll be ....perfect? Yeah, I dont think thats an exageration....Keep us up to date with pics. Good luck with the winter project.....If you can call the upcoming months "winter" in St Pete......

gcarter
10-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Richard, I never doubted for a second what was up.
The time you'll consider selling is when you're on hospise!
I'm sure the execution of this project will be the standard for all the other cabin boats! :smash:

Donzigo
10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Cuda,

I'm cutting the headliner in my kitchen floor tonight. It's hard to find a place to roll out 106 ft of foamed leatherette. I have already put the center piece headliner in; and, will do the complete headliner and cabin sides by Saturday/Sunday, if all goes well. Then, I build the seat foundations and take them to Premier, in Sarasota, next week. Stay tuned for pictures Sunday night.

FYI - Charles Wilson/Glas Pro (who is the very best), is taking care of the tiny scratches and dings on the fiberglass today and tommorrow. Got to get that last 2% to get it to 100%. Probably $400; but worth every penny!

Cuda
10-13-2004, 07:29 PM
How did you attach the headliner?

Donzigo
10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
.....stainless Steel MONEL staples.

Cuda
10-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Is your overhead wood?

Donzigo
10-13-2004, 08:13 PM
The inside walls and top have a foam type substance applied to the inside of the hull, it's about 1/2 inch, then there is another fiberglass shell application applied to that. There are plywood slats screwed lengthwise to that outer shell to staple the headliner to. It's pretty cool how they did it. It was the same in my Z-25, when I did that re-upholstry job.