PDA

View Full Version : Another Winterizing Question - Oil

RedDog
10-12-2004, 03:01 PM
In the past, I have changed my motor oil when I winterize and then change it again in the Spring at first startup.

I have done this without much thought - it was what I was told to do?

Why add fresh oil when winterizing. Why not drain the oil and not add the fresh oil until ready to go in the Spring. Seems this would save a few quarts and time. Doesn't the oil just settle to the pan and sit anyway so doesn't add protection over the winter?

RvR
10-12-2004, 03:20 PM
It does seem a bit extreme Red but people love to change oil far more than necessary IMO. I can see wanting to drain and get the old stuff out incase there is any water in the oil. Why not just refill it right then and start up and go in the spring? That oil is not going to change chemically one iota over the winter.

RickR
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
As short as our lay up is, I do not think it makes any difference. With your 502 I would change every 100 hours or at least twice a year :)

Bob
10-12-2004, 03:58 PM
I think that it is more important to change oil when it is hot (and the impurities are suspended in the oil) rather than change it cold after months of no activity. After oil, the reason you change it is to get dirt and contaminants out of the engine.

cigarette30
10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
It is my understanding the reason for fall change is to drop contaminants, and the redundancy in the spring to rid of the condensation that accumulates over the months of temp changes. Just a thought. Is it worth the $20.00 to gamble?

gold-n-rod
10-12-2004, 05:14 PM
It is my understanding the reason for fall change is to drop contaminants, and the redundancy in the spring to rid of the condensation that accumulates over the months of temp changes. Just a thought. Is it worth the $20.00 to gamble?

IMHO, the amount of condensation that accumulates in an engine not being run is negligible. It would burn off in the first few minutes of operation. It's a waste of precious oil and at $55/barrel, waaaaaay to expensive to waste on "what ifs."

YMMV,

another Randy

Bob
10-12-2004, 05:45 PM
When I winterize an engine, I always wrap a plastic bag tightly around the spark arrestor and put plugs in the exhaust. This keeps air from circulating through the engine. Thus the only water that is able to condense in the course of winter lay-up is contained in the volume of air trapped inside the engine. (8 plus liters of air).
(Ironicly, I'm in the oil business and I'm talking people out of using more.)

MOP
10-12-2004, 06:39 PM
To get rid of contaminants I have and always will change oil & all filters oil & fuel during layup, capping exhaust and bagging the carb will keep it dry while laid up. No need to change in the spring, but the way we run our toys I would never go over 50 hours on a change, me I do it at 25 hour intervals. Some will say the oil still looks clean, that may be so but the loads we put oil under make it shear its molecules much quicker reducing its effectiveness. Change often cheap insurance!