PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! Soft deck!

onesubdrvr
10-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Well, back again with what I think (:crossfing ) will be a small problem. I have a 1988 21' Ragazza BR. Under the bow seats and ski locker, there appears to be false decks. These false decks have rotted away and now I can see the inside of the bottom of the hull. How big of a problem is this? It appears (from the materials that are in there), that this was never really sealed which tells me that it couldn't have been structural, but would like to hear input from anyone that could let me know for sure. Also, is there any areas (other than the obvious stringers / etc), that I should be looking for soft spots, that would need to be repaired immediately?
I got a pretty good deal on the boat, knowing that I was going to have to rebuild the engine box and jump seats, but while cleaning it this weekend, found this additional area.

Please help me!
Wayne:eek:

Lenny
10-11-2004, 10:41 PM
You'll be coring before you know it :) You have lost the core in the re-inforcement layer of probably 1/2" balsa with a mat and roven or two on top, and all this is over the initial hull lay-up. You will want this to be in place for the next seasons' pounding.

Outboard Donzi
10-15-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm a fiberglass boat repair facility in texas. If I'm reading your post right then it will probably be a de-laminated floor. I see this often and it's not the end of the world but it will cost you to have it addressed properly. It would be a good idea to go on with the repairs this winter if possible. The problems that can occur while your waiting are, stringer degradation. If your subfloor stays wet. Contrary to popular belief, boats hate water but are willing to tolarate being wet as long as they get to dry out completly after use. Something has caused yours to stay wet ie: incorrect storage, carpet holding water or maybe just not manufactured properly. I think your probably looking at a 2k to 2500 dollar venture if you have pro look at it. Hopefully a floor is all you need. Good luck Bill

onesubdrvr
10-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the response, I do believe all that is damaged is the deck, as the areas are pretty limited, and as you mentioned, and is common with boats made with carpet, I'm sure it's because of the carpet retaining the water, I've removed the carpet, and the parts of the deck that are rotten to an area at least 6" away from the affected area. I intend on installing the new deck, properly sealing (epoxy), and then recarpeting with snap-out carpet so that I can remove when in storage. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thank-You
Wayne