PDA

View Full Version : taking on water

Richard Rees
10-11-2004, 07:52 PM
22 classic, bravo 1, after running about 10-15 mins, i have about 2 gallons of water in bilge, no visible water leaks on any hoses, engine water temp stays at 160, water in bilge is cold lake water, any help on were its comming from?

DAULEY
10-11-2004, 07:56 PM
check your bellows .shift cable , u joint . or gimbel
most likely shift cable bellows

gcarter
10-11-2004, 07:58 PM
May be leaking through the gimbal housing seal.

Fish boy
10-11-2004, 08:05 PM
does it only happen when you are running or do you get water when it is sitting at the dock with the motor off?

In addition to the suggestions above, might also check the water pump, drain plug and the housing that holds the plug. Also, do you have anything hull mounted like a transducer? these are probably not the answer, but there are only so many places it can be coming from so I thought I would throw them in too.

fish

RickR
10-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Also check your speedo pitot tube :shocking:

Richard Rees
10-11-2004, 08:21 PM
have not sat at dock very much, like to run. thanks for all the help will check all the bellows on out drive

Formula Jr
10-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Run it on the muffs for 15 minutes or so. That will eliminate a few suspects.

David Ochs
10-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Richard,
It doesn't look like anynone mentioned this: Have a look at the transom shield (and bolts). I've had a leak there and could barely see it, but it will accumulate gallons quickly.

Morgan's Cloud
10-12-2004, 07:25 AM
In addition to all of the above don't overlook the feed hose from trans plate to the water pump.
I had a similar leak on the 502 a few years back.The rigger had gone over all the hose clamps before engine installation except the one at the water pump. Under way the pressure built up and there was a very fine mist/drip under the front of the engine. Normally this would be hard to see in fresh water use . The damn salt crystallising under the front of engine gave it away.

S

txtaz
10-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Richard, If you need some help tracking it down give me a call (830-249-3477). I will have time after the weekend, yes THE BIG WEEKEND. We have already put ours away for the season since we don't have time to use it so maybe I can get a ride with you. :wink:
Something to think about: You just replace the sea water pump and now it's taking on water. I would start looking there.
Wes

RedDog
10-12-2004, 03:06 PM
My '98 502 has blue plastic plugs to drain the exhaust manifolds, block, and fuel cooler. One of these cracked and allowed a couple of gallons of water to hit the bilge each outting. I believe the water was warm though and you said your's was cold. If this is the problem, an EZ-Out may be needed to back the cracked plug out.

MOP
10-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Before you drop it in next time loosen (real loose) the clamp on the bellows at the drive end, carefully separate it from the housing to see if it has water inside if not try some dock time both running at high idle 12-1500, get a flexible wand mirror and a flash light as it is tough to see under and around the back end of the engine. Cold water is usually a leak in a transom shield item all mentioned by the guys in the above posts.

Phil