PDA

View Full Version : Drive Oil Question

Kirk
10-11-2004, 07:17 PM
I have a Volvo 270 drive with (no tilt) and in the process of winterizing I checked the drive oil.

Early in the spring I drained/replaced the drive oil and used 10w 40 motor oil. In checking the drive over I noticed that the drive oil was a milkey white (on the dipstick) which would seem to indicate water in drive...if so what is my starting point. At this point I have not drained off the oil yet but intend to.

What do you guys think....used the boat maybe 5 hours this summer...working out major bugs. During use the drive seemed fine and shifted between forward and reverse no problem

By the way, does anyone know where I can get tilt for my drive at a reasonable price?

Comments please.....

Thanks

MOP
10-11-2004, 07:28 PM
By the way, does anyone know where I can get tilt for my drive at a reasonable price?

Check parts 4 sale section!

You need to vacuum and pressure check your drive, fill with any oil until you can to prevent anything from rusting, it will if left dry. In fact fill it until it come out the top to save the upper gears.

Phil

Jack Frost
10-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Kirk,
was the drained oil milky??? or just on the dipstick??
my first check would be to check the gasket washer on the fill screw and the dipstick screw, you might have some condesation built up in the drive with lack of use, changes in temp will cause that trust me on that one
and go to gear lube 90w syn or fossil

it's the most wonderful time of the year

spreading my coolness world wide ;)

Marlin275
10-12-2004, 09:33 AM
I had the same problem in my 270 Drive.
After all tests it was a bad dipstick gasket
that let the water get in.

Speed-Racer
10-12-2004, 08:10 PM
A read water is often a common problem in the Volvo 270 drive. Also loosing that little washer on the drain screw or dipstick is very easy to do..... :rolleyes: