PDA

View Full Version : Would you cut pop-up cleats in? POLL

Lenny
10-11-2004, 01:32 PM
The X boat has no cleats (usual) anywhere and docking and tie-ing up is a pain. So far it cost me about $70. :rolleyes: Seem that at the last launch site, I came in, docked, tied bumpers (2) to the dock and went and got the truck and trailer. Then I got back into the boat and "drove-on" the trailer, krept up the bow, secured the hook and safety and hopped into the back of the truck and drove up the ramp. Then I tied it all down nicely and drove home.

Once home , I realized that I left the bumpers tied to the dock :bonk: :banghead: :bonk: :bawling:

So anyways, I have 4 new Accon pop-ups doing nothing in their plastic bags and I want to know what you guys think of cutting them in. The procedure is a snap with the template and router, but, what about originality?

I sure would like them on there.

BUIZILLA
10-11-2004, 01:37 PM
I put 4 pop-ups on the Critter. Yes, I cringed.... the rubrail is much happier now though.

JH

Morgan's Cloud
10-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Boats come without cleats ? ?

I'm a traditionalist at heart. The St T did'nt have cleats on it when I got it all those years ago.I was lucky to find a set (4) of beautifull smooth horned Swiss S/S jobbies.
Would'nt have it any other way... besides no-ones ever said ''Aaargh ... a Donzi ruined with cleats !"

Personally ... if it was mine I would'nt put pop ups on a classic.

But what do I know... I have to ruin a classic by painting it :biggrin.:

Steve

Cuda
10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
I voted no, but I guess it would really depend on how original the boat is now. I'm in the same quandry with my Minx. I'd like to upgrade the gauges, the steering wheel, and stuff, but it's all 100% original now, everything works and is in great shape. Heck, I even bought a new wheel to put on, but just can't bring myself to break the seal, so to speak. :)

Ed Donnelly
10-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Lenny; My Criterion came with 4 pop ups from Chisholm.
If it hadn't, I would have put them in.
Clean, neat and SAFE...Ed

RedDog
10-11-2004, 03:16 PM
I put them on my 22C and love the look - 1 onthr bow was already in place. I added 2 to each side

Ask Ranman if he wishes he had one on his bow :rlol:

roadtrip se
10-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Easy to install and the flush mount pop-ups don't ruin the lines of the boat, for the purists amongst us.

I keep looking for an all original Classic out there, but how many people really know the difference any way? When our rallies start taking on a concourse feel, I'll be staying home!

What I do notice is cracks in the gel, because somebody didn't have the right hardware on the boat to secure it in a raft-off or to a dock over night.

Easy decision, but of course I have a new boat!

Todd
"Thinking that maybe Jamestown will book the Sierra Club for AOTH, after Sarasota, I realize diversity at a rally is good!"

Bruce B.
10-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Keep it clean.I like the look of the pop-ups.:)

Formula Jr
10-11-2004, 08:11 PM
But you live in canada, so wouldn't the fenders still be there at the pier with little postit notes saying "Thank You for letting us use these."

Lenny
10-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Owen, :hyper: :biggrin.: They might still be there, you are right, I just couldn't be bothered 'cuz 40 miles roundtrip in my vehicle @ $4.20 a gallon and getting about 8 MPG, and my time,..it didn't make sense.

Maybe in a week or two I'll go see how they are doing at the wharf there. :D Put some fresh post-its on them.

Fish boy
10-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Voted yes, but would have a hard time making the first cut. POP-ups are neat, clean and handy. I avoided putting a stereo in my boat for years becasue I did not want to make any cuts, but everytime I saw someone who did I found myself saying I wish I had that. Last year I finally had a long talk with myself and told me that it is my boat, I should enjoy it.

I could just see Geoo with a post saying "arneson drive, should I do it or keep it all original?"

be happy with your boat, and enjoy boating :)

gcarter
10-11-2004, 09:18 PM
I've often wondered, how strong are pop-ups?
Has anyone ever pulled one apart accidentally? :smash:

roadtrip se
10-11-2004, 09:37 PM
You see the same 6-inchers I have serving duty on much larger sport boats. They are also backed with some serious hardware and I have mine rigged with tubes to drain into the bilge.

My only complaint is the spring action, for the inexperienced, they pop with a lot energy when you push the button. I have a tendency to put my hands over them, before pushing the button, which seems to slow down their trajectory into orbit. I would imagine that the spring would eventually wear out, but not for a long time.

After wearing a cleat imprint on my butt cheek for several weeks, these are alot harder to get get caught up on too!

Todd
"No, I have never hung from the bow of my Classic from my shorts!"

Scott Heidt
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
I installed pop-ups on my Hornet II and love em. For those who need a cleat in a certain location and do not want to do any modifications, I highly suggest the blue suction cleats. They are about $49.95 and worth every penny. You can quickly put a temporary cleat where ever you want.

:)

boldts
10-12-2004, 04:12 PM
I voted yes. My 22 C had them and when I buy another Donzi, it will have them! They don't muck up the lines with some abtruse cleat sticking up there and like others have mentioned, you don't have to worry about hitting your foot or other parts of the body on them when not in use.