PDA

View Full Version : Older AMD processors?

MOP
10-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Looking for two mother boards that support AMD K6 processors, I have been suffering with two FIC 503+ boards one of which only has about 5 hours on it. Both have been a pain since I built the machines, I recently found out they have a math problem with K6's. I don't see any sense upgrading as these are work machines at my offices, just net time and word processing. Any suggestions as to good boards greatly appreciated. I need an AMD mavin!

Phil

MissRepublican
10-11-2004, 12:47 PM
The resident computer gurus said that the only place you would be able to find a couple of that would support K6-2 processors would be the trash heap. They suggest that you upgrade to AMD Athlon -- k7 + motherboard, which should cost approx. $50. However, for $75, they added, you would be able to get really nice MB + processor.

www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) is always a good source for low-cost hardware.

txtaz
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Phil, I have a Intel P2 board with 300MHz processor, I think 512Ram if you want it. I had to upgrade for my last project and it's been sitting in a box. That should solve one of your puter problems. Personally, I use Intel chips and chipsets since they wrote the instruction sets. All others reverse engineered them. There is nothing worse than having a bug and spending days to find it only it to be hardware that you saved a few bucks on. Yup, been there done that.
Let me know, I only ask for s&h.
Wes
PS. the board has AGP graphics slot, 4 PCI and 2 32bit ISA slots so everything should fit except for an ancient 800 baud modem (16bit)