PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!, HELP!!, Buyer be ware

onesubdrvr
10-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Well, some of you know that I recently purchased a 1988 21' Ragazza BR. I was doing some clean up on it this weekend, and lifted the ski access cover to find what appears to be a false deck rotted away. Well, needless to say I have some worries. I didn't even think to check this area when purchasing this boat as all the decks were solid, and the motor stringers as well. Can anyone tell me if this area is structural, or just cosmetic? Does anyone have pictures of this area from another Ragazza that I could see to get a better idea of how it's supposed to look?
MOST IMPORTANTLY, BUYER BE WARE, BE THOUROUGH WITH YOUR INSPECTIONS - CHECK EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY FOR POTENTIAL PROBLEMS. Even though I still feel like I got a good deal on the boat, it was work I wasn't planning on having to do, especially before Palatka.

Until later,....:banghead:
Wayne

Ranman
10-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Welcome Wayne. What you've described above is EXACTLY the reason I always say "hire a professional surveyor" before you buy. I guess that doesn't help you now. I'm glad you're still OK with the deal. Someone should chime in with advice.

Walt. H.
10-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Small or big problems, No matter how much you look there is always something that is missed that you will find later. Even a pro can over-look something, but chance are less likely because he works from a pre-written check list. The average buyer wonders around checking things aimlessly hit and miss and can be easily distracted by conversation.

So a good new Topic can be started here for everyone to give there input on thing's that should be on a pre-buy check and inspect list. :crossfing

Walt

onesubdrvr
10-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Walt,
I think that is a great idea, I'd be happy to write up things that I find as I go through the boat inch by inch, that can help with the list of checks, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I think experience is the key and the "Oh NO's!!"

Wayne