PDA

View Full Version : Fuel level over the winter

Doug G
10-10-2004, 06:25 PM
I am scheduled for haul out tomorrow :bawling: and am looking for some thoughts on whether to fill the tank now for storage or store it between a 1/4 and a 1/2 tank. :confused: The boat will be stored inside in a heated building. In the past, I have stored in non heated buildings. I know the conventional wisdom for cold storage is to store with the tank almost full, to reduce condensation. I would rather not fill up until spring, and get a tankful of fresh fuel in April or May.

Anybody have any sage words of advice?

Doug

MOP
10-10-2004, 06:32 PM
My advice has always been to fill them over the winter and use Stabilizer, I believe the walls of the tanks sweat with temp changes I could be wrong. It has been the most consistent advice I have ever heard or read in the manuals over the years.

Phil

BigGrizzly
10-10-2004, 09:50 PM
The origional reason for filling the tanls over the winter was not only for condensation, but the fact that the old tanls were steel. the open air will rust the stee with the condensation. A full tank can't rust because there is no oxegen as a catalist. Todays tanks are mostly aluminum or plastic, In which case if condensation is is cough by the fuel filter/waterseparater. In any event use a fuel stabilizer for storage. If you don't then dran the fuel in the spring and use it in your wife's car.

Lenny
10-10-2004, 09:53 PM
:D :D :D