PDA

View Full Version : Ted, did you know, and anyone else for that matter.Transom adapters.

Lenny
10-08-2004, 05:19 PM
...that Mercruiser has an adapter plate now to go from Old style Volvo or BMW (large hole) to Bravo? The kit (transom adaptert kit) retails here (in Vic) for $757.00US. No glassing or anything. Just bolt her up.

I got a price today, for a stock (260 HP) 350 and Bravo one complete and new, 3 year warranty for $9090.00 US. The Map 350 MPI/Bravo one for $10,500US. 2004 pricing still here. Trim/tilt/Smartcraft, hydraulic steering etc, complete. This , combined with a $757.00 US transom adapter is starting to look intriguing. That and the fact that, the dealer is willing to separate the motor on the pallet from the drive package and sell it separately to someone that needs a re-power makes it really affordable.

Certainly worth thinking about on my part.

Mr X
10-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Lenny,
I did not know that.........good info!

I did bite the bullet and bought 2 Bravo one drives and gimbles yesterday.

I think I will glass in the Volvo holes and re-cut the X-dim a couple inches higher.
Please explain the engine pricing when seperated from the drive, I am looking for a couple of engines.

Thanks Lenny.

Marlin275
10-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Why not get new Volvo? 5.7 DP
More money?
Better resale on Merc?

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marineengines/powerforleisureboats/gasoline_sterndrive/57dp/

Greg K
10-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Lenny,

Please explain the engine pricing when seperated from the drive,
I am looking for a couple of engines.

You should consider a pair of these from Crusader
6.0-375hp (http://www.crusaderengines.com/60.html)

Lenny
10-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Ted, as explained to me today, in the stock 260 hp version the engine is "thrown in" at $2000 over the retail on the drive assembly so it is a no brainer. In the 5.0 it is even cheaper. In the 350 Map Mpi, obviously the motor is worth more, but it can be sold if you wish separately and apply the savings to the "drive cost". He said, here, (most likely there as well) you can buy a new GM vehicle for less than a 1/4 that the separated parts would cost. Same logic applies here.
Unfortunately, these motors as "new" can not be sold and warrantied in the USA. It is a "subsidy thing" here in Canada through Merc/Canada... :(

You could sell your transom shields from the Bravo's and probably come up with similar coin to the two adapters.

Marlin, the VOLVO packages are stupid money here :rolleyes: and they require filling in the transom unless you get a DPX and that alone new (without motor) would buy 1 1/2 Mag 350 packages.

Any pics of the "X" progress. ? Seats in yet?

Mr X
10-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks Lenny,
I could not raise the X-dimension using the adapters.

No pics yet.....the next pics I post will be of it in the water.

I see where they are comming from with the pricing.....

What do those Crusader's cost??

Greg K
10-08-2004, 10:09 PM
What do those Crusader's cost??

I think they are around 9K complete as you see it....and they're blue.. :biggrin:

MOP
10-08-2004, 10:57 PM
I started working on boat engines in 1954, I have been around all sorts of brands. Crusader has always made the best and longest lasting engines, I'll take a Crusader over a Merc any day. Their stock riser and manifold setups out last any others and from the get go the engines are built from grade parts. David Pascoe did a write up take a look at the site http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasEngines.htm You do get what you pay for when you buy from them.

Phil

Lenny
10-08-2004, 11:03 PM
With adapters Ted, you could still bolt on a pair of Shorties (1"-2") and be in the game c/w designed center of balance.

I am sure the performance stuff, in fact I know, is about 10 times CHEAPER there than here. :D

You guys find it in dumpsters, we pay 3K$ just to have it shipped. :rolleyes:

We don't get hurricanes tho...and the water is too cold to ever go into so sharks are a non issue and any alligator here would shrivel up and automatically turn into a pair of boots...

BUIZILLA
10-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Ted, FWIW, Greg K is 100% correct. That 6.0 Crusader is the most awesome small block repower out there now, especially for your narrow beam/narrow crank center Cig. The manifolds are very compact for service, it's a FWC engine, compact upper for hatch clearance/raised X installation. If your doing a long term ownership thingy here, it's a no-brainer. Cruise RPM will be about 3400-3600 though, the engine likes to rev...

JH

Mr X
10-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks Jim and Lenny, that sounds like the way to go!
Now......who can get me a DEAL on a pair??

olredalert
10-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Lenny,

-------At this point in time if I bought any Mercruiser put together at Stillwater I would have to take the intake off before firing and check the roller lifters.
-------The Scorpion I bought had two (2) big-block lifters installed in it along with the other 14 correct ones. The big-block lifters look almost identical until you realize that they install in the small-block keepers 90 degrees out of faze. This puts the rollers sideways on the cam. The motor will start up when fresh and run for awhile (in my case two hours) but the cam and incorrect lifters eventually will self-destruct along with any other pieces that the ground-off metal compromises. Not a pretty sight I can assure you.
-------Im in on-going discussions with Victory Marine as I type this for any kind of warrantee because, even though unused, the Scorpion was two years old and had no Mercruiser warrantee. This problem has nothing to do with Victory Marine other than the fact that I bought it from them, and everything to do with the Stillwater Mercruiser manufacturing facility. Truly frustrating as I have had virtually no problems with many other Mercruiser drivetrains over the years.
-------Tyler Crockett, A well known local high-perf boat engine builder says I am not the only one this has happened to.............Bill S

Mr X
10-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Bill, is this aproblem on the BLACK Scorpion or the BLUE Scorpion??
I have one from Victory that I bought over 1 year ago
and have only run it for 5 mins. on the stand.....
Should I pull it apart and look inside??

MOP
10-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Red in my opinion that is in no way a warranty issue but a manufacturer issue and should be covered by Mercury Marine, I bet that would stand up in any court of law. Have you spoken to an attorney?

Phil

olredalert
10-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Cig,

-----My unlucky purchase was the 340hp model (black). I have been told the only difference between the blue and black versions was the computer programming. It was meant for a straight or V-drive use (Mastercraft,etc.).I would imagine the chances are slim, but it happened to me. In retrospect, I did notice a slight discrepancy when the starter-motor was engaged. Like a very slight tightening up at one spot. It was virtually unnoticeable at the time but was the extra resistance of the rollers being sideways on the cam at only one spot in the cams rotation. Probably when the valve was all the opened!

-----Phil,,,Wish that what you said was true but Victory takes off the serial numbers on all these motors they sell for starters (although I didnt know this fact when I made the purchase). I also knew that I was buying an engine with no mercruiser warrantee. I did think that what I was buying had a 30 day warrantee from Victory from time of start-up. They are now trying to say that the warrantee was from time of purchase . This is where the seemingly endless phone calls have come from. They are now considering giving me a new short-block. I really want a long-block and I have told them Ill cover all the other costs. From my angle that seemed pretty fair, but we havent gotten it straightened out yet.................Bill S

Mr X
10-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Bill,
would it be possible to pull the valve covers, pull out a push rod or two.......slide in one of those skinny bore lights thru the push rod hole and see the lifters that way?

BUIZILLA
10-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Ted, just pull the intake and all the pushrods and inspect the lifters.. can't take more than 30 minutes to do that..

JH

Mr X
10-09-2004, 08:51 PM
So does anyone have any idea how much $ the crusader 6.0
goes for?

BUIZILLA
10-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Ted, call Tim Lewis at Jerry's Marine Service in Ft Liquordale. Mention my name...

Jim

Mr X
10-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks Jim.......