PDA

View Full Version : Wiring stuff & fuel tank valves...

gcarter
10-08-2004, 05:06 PM
HI everyone;
got a couple of questions.
1) How are the engine compartment light(s) switched on the dashboard? Do you use the "accessory" switch?
2) How many of your boats have fuel shut-off valves at the fuel tank?

MOP
10-08-2004, 05:36 PM
George I had a slick setup for engine hole lights on my Formula, I used a sealed switch with an arm with a roller that turned on the lights when you lifted the hatch. The switch was mounted on the aft end of the hatch on an L bracket, I epoxied a block on to the hatch to match the height of the switches throw. Even in bright light the bilge was noticeably brighter, I wired it direct to one battery with a fuse it was nice not having to fumble for a switch. I had two sail boat spreader lights that could be swiveled in the direction needed for better lighting.

RickR
10-08-2004, 07:13 PM
I use the dash accessory switch for:
Vapor Detector
Depth finder
Auto fire extinguisher
VHF Radio

Switch for the engine compartment lights is on one of the light housing.

I have a cutoff switch, on the fuel line, at the tank.

Madcow
02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm using one of these from Dana. As to fuel shutoff, I'm not sure why I would want one.

gcarter
02-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm using one of these from Dana. As to fuel shutoff, I'm not sure why I would want one.
Well, three and a half years later, I think I can answer my own question.
Assume you develop a fuel line leak after the fuel pump and a fire starts. With the fire inside the engine compartment, you might not be able to reach the valve located ahead of the filter/seperator. With a valve located at the tank and you quickly turn it off, you can guarantee the fire will go out pretty quickly (unless the glass or something else starts burning).
Another point, If you use the CG approved, steel reinforced fuel hose from that valve located at the tank to the valve located at the filter/seperator, it won't fail and contribute to a fire UNDER the ****pit.:eek!:

dclassic
02-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Tomahawk has a factory fuel shut off and features the light weight engine bay lite delete option. :) Personally if I was adding a lite I would switch it from the engine bay rather than the dash for a less busy dash appearance, unless I had a vacant switch position to use. Hope that helps, of course you know what they say about opinions...

Ranman
02-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure why I would want one.

It can make a pretty good anti theft device if you leave your boat in the water overnight. I shut the valve off just in case. Most thieves would be too stupid to figure it out and the boat won't run for long with it shut off.