PDA

View Full Version : E-drives

Danny
10-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know if a service manual for an Volvo E drive exists and where one might find one ?
I would settle for a schematic or an expanded parts diagram.
Thanks Danny

kjly63
10-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Boy would I like to get my hands on one of these drives :bawling: I took a ride in an x-18 Donzi and was told it adds about 6 to 8 miles an hr. I have posted on several different forums looking for one of these with no luck and have seen no posts for this drive at all. Good luck with your search and hopefully you'll never need parts for it.

Ken

Danny
10-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Ken
I just purchased 2 edrives with props this week. A fellow board member gave me a lead almost 2 years ago and it finally came together this week.
I am now on the hunt for a manual or at least an expanded parts diagram.
The external cap on the prop shaft that I assume holds the bearing and prop seal in place has 2 small lock pins through the cap into the end of the gearcase that prevent the cap from loosening. Any thoughts on what type of pin they are and a preferred method of removal?
Thanks Danny

kjly63
10-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Danny,

Sorry I can't help ya.......havn't had a really up close look at one yet nor have I seen any spec's on it.......good luck :lookaroun
And, I'm sure you'll want to keep both drives? :bawling:

Ken

BRIAN73
10-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Danny,

If my memory serves me correctly, when you remove the zinc, that will expose the cap that can be unscrewed.

I would't unless you have the seals that were discontinued in 1978!!!!!!!

Brian

Email Me
englert@troybelting.com

MOP
10-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Post in the Stern Drive Foram.
http://www.sterndrive.com/board/show_forum.cfm?ID=41

Send an Email to Attn: Pete at All Island Marine, he is an old timer that may be able to help.
http://www.allislandmarine.com/contact.html

Last but not least try Emailing Volvo! I bet those Swedes have some stuff stashed, it may cost you but worth the shot.
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/applications/ContactUs/vpccontactusmap.htm?flash=false&version=0

MOP

Bob
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Try www.marineengine.com

Danny
11-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I certainly appreciate your leads.
I have been to the two long term Volvo dealers in central Ontario and both have knowledge of e-drives and one had worked on several including the ones I bought. There were most helpful but no diagrams or service manuals. One of them has resealed e-drives, but had to buy seals from a seal and bearing specialty shop and also had to make new gaskets for between the lower and the intermediate housing.The one fellow had seen drawings and manuals at the original parts distributers for Volvo in Ontario but that distributer is long gone.
I tried all the sites that people mentioned but only came up with info on conventional 270 and 280 lower units.
I tracked down the Volvo tech rep for our area but he had nothing.
Sent emails to Volvo through several of their websites and got no responses.
I work at a community college that offers a marine tech program and again no literature for e-drives.
I know these manuals exsisted but I keep running into dead ends.
I have searched through literally 1000s of search hits, websites, put posts on sterndrive forums but no luck to date.
Every time I travel out of my area and I see another Volvo dealer I stop and ask.
I have been able to identify the props I got with them and have been led to believe that they they were mercury racing props 12 x 26 one left and one right hand and probably were the original props. The edrives were original equipment on a 73 Doral wtih twin 350 vette engines.
Any new leads would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Danny

Ross
11-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Danny, have you tried Hot Knots; a couple of years ago I saw a black 28' Cigarette parked in their lot and I believe it had the Volvo drives you are talking about. Also saw a 28' parked in the lot at Village Marine in Honey Harbour, again a couple of years ago. It had Volvos,just can't remember what model. Last suggestion, you may want to ask Terry Butler at Beacon Bay, he has been around a 100 yrs and may know where to look.

Danny
11-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Ross
Jim Langley at Village Marina in the Harbour was the most helpful, he had worked on those drives and gave me some good information but no manuals or drawings. He has a edrive there he has just resealed and painted. Terry Butler had nothing but gave me the Volvo Tech Rep connection, unfortunatly nothing there either.
I'll give Hot Knots a call tomorrow.
Thanks Danny

ALLAN BROWN
11-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Volvo E-drive guru of the world: Jim Mander, Jerry's Marine, Fort Lauderdale, Fl.

954-525-0311

Danny
11-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Brownie
I just got off the phone with Jim. He has the expanded parts diagrams and parts listings but no manuals. He is going to send me copies. He can get gaskets and seals.
This has made my day.
Thanks Danny

Danny
12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
I just received a package from Jim today in the mail.
I got copies of parts lists and exploded parts diagrams.
Brain I asked him about gears and he suggested contacting him and it sounded optimistic. He still has some sources for obsolete and no longer available parts.
Thanks again to Jim and Brownie.
Great resource.
Danny