PDA

View Full Version : 1998 454 310 fuel injected...

john445
10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
I am looking into purchasing a 1998 22 classic with the above mentioned engine and a Bravo 1 outdrive w/ Mirage prop. The hour meter says 46hrs and the previous owner purchased the boat new. He says he only used it about 6-10 times and I believe him. My questions are;

Is there anything in particular I should look for in this year make model boat/engine/outdrive?

How well do the 22 classics handle short steep chop (3-4 feet)?

The current owner says he opted for the lowest HP setup on the 454 to aid in dependability and durability. The boat has no thru-hull exhaust. Does this sound correct?

With a boat this old with this little use what should be done to the engine/drive train before extensive use?

Finally, the boat is oh so clean and looks brand new. How much should I pay in your honest opinions?

Potential Donzi owner

John H

RedDog
10-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Actually the 454 Mag, 385 HP (or whatever it is) is probably more durable due to beefier components. And more desirable resell wise (or course my 502 Mag is probably just as reliable).

I would want thru-hull exhaust. It can be added as a do it yourself project.

The computer can be hooked to a scan tool to verify the exact number of hours - hour meters do break and get replaced.

Cost - $24K to $29K - depending on how much you want it :)

john445
10-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. What would I gain by having thru-hull exhaust? Sounds like the 454's are overall reliable engines. No one has replied in reference to the ride of the 22 classic in a steep chop. I was told by an offshore racer friend that the boat will only perform well in smooth water, is this true? The boat is clean and the asking price is right, it just might happen.

John H

john445
10-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Formula Jr

Are all 454's fuel pigs?

We live on a shallow (15ft) lake, 25 miles x 35 miles which can really kick up some nasty short steep waves. Thanks for your reply. The boat looks pristine and was kept under cover . Is there anything else I can tell you guys which would help you to help me?

John H

BUIZILLA
10-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Four foot close train waves are skippy time fullbore aired out play.now, this I gotta see... :yes:

454 was a 330 hp merc and a fuel pig. I kinda disagree with that, this newer 310 is an MPI injected engine, NOT a carbed 330 as stated for comparison. The '98 454-310 Merc package is rated 310 at the outdrive prop, or 340 at the crank. I just today bought yet another boat, that has a '98 310 B3 package. It does not have thru hull either, but I intend to do that a.s.a.p., modify the TB intake inlet area, and add 4" Corsa exhaust mufflers, and K&N intake stuff to uncork it's a$$. I'm not doing any more than that.... at least not yet :umbrella: The 310 MPI is an excellent engine, stifled at 4600 rpm though, but with a lot of grunt potential.

JH :shades:

TuxedoPk
10-06-2004, 07:58 PM
I was told by an offshore racer friend that the boat will only perform well in smooth water, is this true?

What model Baja does he own? :smash:

RedDog
10-06-2004, 08:47 PM
...I just today bought yet another boat, that has a '98 310 B3 package...

Sparkling clean bildge - do tell more :wink:

BUIZILLA
10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Sparkling clean bildge - do tell more :wink:
'98 F252BR 7.4 B3
1 Formula dealer original owner
50 + - original hours, fresh water only
never registered
every option except thru hull
alum trailer/discs/alum wheels

i'm so giddy..... :biggrin:

JH :cool:

Cuda
10-06-2004, 09:29 PM
From everything I've read and talk to people about, the 310/454 is probably the most reliable BBC made. You can expect a long life with this puppy.

Cuda
10-06-2004, 09:32 PM
'98 F252BR 7.4 B3
1 Formula dealer original owner
50 + - original hours, fresh water only
never registered
every option except thru hull
alum trailer/discs/alum wheels

i'm so giddy..... :biggrin:

JH :cool:

So Jim, you've come on over to the dark side?

pmreed
10-06-2004, 09:37 PM
It's got a great bimini too!!! :D

Phil

Formula Jr
10-06-2004, 09:40 PM
I have to get more beer. Back in a bit.
Uhmmm... Yes 454s suck gas like pigs.
Big gas sucking pigs they are......
Put a four barrel on one of those gas sucken pigs.
You can WATCH the fuel meter go down once the secondaries open. Its neat to look at the
throttle body injectors, its like a champagne fountain in minature.

Oh theres a story coming...... :)

MOP
10-06-2004, 09:42 PM
So what are you waiting for :bonk: that sounds like a really nice boat. Watch Ebay for through hull parts :wrench: they come up a lot. I love mine and you will to ;)

BUIZILLA
10-06-2004, 09:57 PM
MOP, it's as good as bought :yippie: , gotta go pick it up in the next couple days :crossfing ... it's in Cuda's backyard too :cool:
:beer: many thanx to Phil Reed for the scope-out..

Lenny
10-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Post some pics 'n stuff. I guess the Criterion has to go now. No problem, I will buy it from you ;)

Seriously, let's see the new toy ! :yes:

I really have to wonder what your place looks like as compared to mine. You have me beat by about 3 boats and 10 vehicles :D

Take care :)

Now, back to "gas sucking pigs" ...

MOP
10-06-2004, 10:28 PM
So what are you waiting for that sounds like a really nice boat. Watch Ebay for through hull parts they come up a lot. I love mine and you will to

That was meant for john445!

Jim yours is another matter sounds good I like the Yipee part! And like Lenny says how about some pic's.

Phil

Formula Jr
10-06-2004, 10:43 PM
This sounds like a good boat as described John. My knowledge of 454s may be dated - '95. I know you can't break one - I tried. I agree that they do need to be unpluged with a thru exhaust but don't expect this engine to be a spinner. Its a grunt, low rpm motor, very heavy, very dependable - and excussssse meee!, gas sucking pig.

If the depth of the lake is 15 feet, I doubt seriously if fours are common. That would have to have been a very windy day indeed.

john445
10-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I think my next step will be to make an offer based on sea trial and mechanical inspection. Another question for you seasoned veterans; how difficult is it to trailer (launch and retrieve) these boats? I have a vehicle that should have no problems towing 5,000 lbs. I'm figuring I need about 30 x 15 feet for storage? I am going to sell my J-30 sailboat, any takers? It takes 8 people to sail my boat competetively, how many will it take to launch and retrieve the Donzi?

John H

RickR
10-07-2004, 05:30 PM
29' on a Rolls trailer drive down

In an honest 3' to 4', steep sea, >20 knots, you will get beaten to death in a 22 Classic. Due to the reverse chines. But in my experience > 20 knots is uncomfortable in most boats.

Around 15 knots the 22 will ride well.

Around 10 knots, with a 2 to 4' swell, will put a big grin on your face around 60 MPH :biggrin:

Inshore, offshore, inland lakes
750 hours in a 22 Classic
900 hours in a 18 Classic

john445
10-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Ok, let's say I am bringing this vessel to a certified Mercruiser dealer to be checked out before purchase. What should I have done? Compression test, oil sample, what else??? Thanks again.

John

MOP
10-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Ok, let's say I am bringing this vessel to a certified Mercruiser dealer to be checked out before purchase. What should I have done? Compression test, oil sample, what else??? Thanks again.

John

Gear case oil drain into clean pan and refill, look for particles of metal on drain plug a little is normal maybe a 1/16" thick. Pour off drained oil slowly watch for silver and bronze discoloration again a little is normal but is real colorful thats NG.

Compression have them tell you what they think of spark plug reading if all looks good go on.

Oil samples are an absolute must, but can be worthless if there is less than 5 hours on oil. That is minimum time my sampler will bother with. Usually if the oil has some darkening to it it will be fine for testing. Many auto parts stores now stock test kits, mail in and get results in 5-6 days

All of the above can be done by anyone with a little knowledge and basic tools.

Phil