PDA

View Full Version : Ford Truck lug nutz ???

Lenny
10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
I just got my "work" truck back today from servicing (2003 F-250) and on the front seat was a letter from the service Company (and then a Ford letter) stating that

[quote] Caution: Failure to follow procedure may result in personal injury or property damage.
The revised wheel lug nut installation procedure below replaces the information contained in this manual.

WHEEL LUG NUT TORQUE: 200-225 NM/150-165 Lb-ft

Nuts and bolt threads must be free of dirt and rust.
On all two-piece flat wheel nuts, apply one drop of motor oil between the flat washer and the nut. DO NOT APPLY motor oil to the wheel nut threads or the wheel wheel stud threads.

Retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque on new vehicle operation and after ANY wheel removal: single rear wheel at 800KM(500 miles), dual rear wheel at 160KM (100 miles) and at 800KM,(500 miles).

Are you truck owners aware of this? I never new their was an installation guide to lug nuts.

Rootsy
10-04-2004, 01:18 PM
damn lenny.. dry threads? not here.. in the salt and snow.. never-sieze is just about the FIRST THING i do on the first oil change on a new vehicle.. and again every time i rotate tires...

i have never had one come loose on me

i learned the hard way on the 93 ranger i had... i was at school in about 1996 in Da UP Eh... and was replacing the brake pad that sheared the linings off after a UP winter... and i couldn't get the DRY lugnuts loose... i broke the tire iron socket... then i had a 1/2 inch breaker bar and craftsman socket on and a buddy bouncing on her and broke that socket... took a little BLUE WRENCH pursuasion to loosen em up... :angryfire

i still don;'t understand how you achieve a repeatable and accurate thread loading on dry threads... :boggled:

JR

ALF
10-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Ford took a serious look at getting this information to the public after the F-350 U-Haul fleet troubles a few years ago.
Manufacturers of pickups to class 8 trucks have recommended for years that proper lug nut torque be part of regular maintenance. It's not so much a factor on light duty vehicles but the caution pertains to any wheel no matter what the application. It's good preventative maintenance and due to the huge liability involved, most OE repair shops require their techs torque every wheel to ensure consistancy.

TBroccoli
10-04-2004, 02:58 PM
I have a 97 F150. I received a recall letter a few years back telling me the lug nuts may come loose and need to be replaced. While in for a regular maintenance the dealership told me they replaced the recalled lug nuts. I couldn't tell the diff.