PDA

View Full Version : Forrest, question about the DPX.

Lenny
10-04-2004, 09:29 AM
I was at the Volvo shop here the other day, (getting to know everyone on a first name basis as I am sure this will be a long relationship) anyways, the fella told me that the transom cut-out for a DP (duo-prop) is the same as the Bravo/Alpha in this newer generation. I was thinkng of a "fix" to my lack of hydryalics and trim and was hoping for something easy,...

BUT, you say, after going from a 280 to a DPX the cut-outs work ??? with no transom rebuild?

Curiously, here, a complete new drive set-up, with power from Volvo is not TOOO bad (way more than Merc tho) but when you want just the parts, (ie: just the drive) it is astronomical :eek: Obviously you got a good deal on yours ;)

Let me know about the cut-out if you can. I also like the idea of this automatically raising your "X" dimension 2" 'cuz when you factor in about $3500 for an IMCO lower it just helps in the decision.

Forrest
10-04-2004, 11:28 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5749

In this picture, the hole on the left, that has the plywood template attached, is the original hole left by the 280T transom. At this point, no cutting has been done for the DPX. The template shows what need to be cut to accommodate the DPX transom unit. On the other hand, the hole on the right, has been cut for the DPX and all that is necessary at this point is to fill the unused drill holes and re-paint. The trick is to find the crankshaft center line in order to properly place the transom unit.

Also, depending on how your original Volvo AQ hole was cut, the holes you will need to drill for the middle studs on the transom plate may come very close to the edge of the cutout. In some cases, you may need to add material to this area. In my case, I did not have to add any material except to "clean up" the edges of the cut-out in a few places.

The DPX when mounted on the same crankshaft center line raise your X-dimension about two inches.