PDA

View Full Version : It be a dead 350 !!

marcdups
10-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Took the boat out yesterday and ran great, even raced a velocity offshore with twin modified big blocks and I was just at over 4200 rpm's, all said and done he was not very impressed, LOL, after just crusing around looking for a Minx I throttled down from 3200 rpm's and the engine just shut down, and would not restart for a while, temp OK, oil pressure was OK, but upon trying to restart for a while about cooked the battery cable, today I drained the drive and looked at the gears, all appears fine, took the plugs out and found #5 porcelain cracked???did a compression test and #1 is at 100psi and #5 at 115 psi, #3 and # 7 at 150, the starboard bank all at 160 psi, I am hoping it is just the head or valves, the only thing that bothers me is why it would not turn over, wondering if I lost a lobe or two on the cam, but that still does not make sense, at home now for lunch before I go and pull the intake off and go from there, will the engine come out without taking the manifolds off??, guess if I have to I shall find out !!update to follow :bawling: :confused: :bawling: :wrench: :wrench:

marcdups
10-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Have not had a chance to look at it yet, as I work on boats all day and nearly every day I feel like a barefoot cobbler :idea: , but hopefully will have the intake off in the morning, Rootsy and others that have modified their engines, best parts combo just in case I need a rebuild, lets say a reliable 325-350 hp, would rather keep the same 4 barrel carb and just change jets, I wish I could say cost was no object but :bawling: :bawling:

Rootsy
10-04-2004, 07:51 PM
well get her apart and lets look inside and see how she looks.. we can go from there... if it is a roller motor i can help out with some of the valvetrain parts i have used in my motor and have sitting on the shelf at "nice" prices... I can do pretty WELL on rebuild kits also...

get her apart first then we'll go from there... lots of folks to help ya out around here, for sure :)

Jamie

ToonaFish
10-04-2004, 08:08 PM
well get her apart and lets look inside and see how she looks.. we can go from there

Yep, that's our Rootsy, capable of resurrecting the dead. :smile:

'Course he spent most of this summer walking on water without an operable boat, but that's a snap for Donzi messiahs!

Rootsy
10-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Yep, that's our Rootsy, capable of resurrecting the dead. :smile:

'Course he spent most of this summer walking on water without an operable boat, but that's a snap for Donzi messiahs!

well being a messiah doesn't apparently pay all that well.. you can't buy sterndrive parts with fishes and loaves... so you have to use the walks on water thingy to get around :yes:

Kirk
10-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Poodle.....that was COLD

Rootsy
10-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Not to worry folks, walkin on water's going to be a lot easier for ya shortly... :shocking: :shocking: :yes:

diversity is good for the soul ;)

break out the sleds, sharpen the skates, tape up the stick... yeeee haw...

JR

Walt. H.
10-05-2004, 10:40 AM
One word:Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!! :kyle:

:wavey:

mattyboy
10-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Not to worry folks, walkin on water's going to be a lot easier for ya shortly... :shocking: :shocking: :yes:

2 days from out from behind your plywood cacoons and you're busting our chops about the weather :rolleyes: :stan:
what letter is next?? seems you folks can't count votes and now you gotta learn your ABCDEFGHIJ's :tongue:

:umbrella:

Rootsy
10-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Battening up the hatches for a storm: $387.45
Hurricane supplies, not including liquor: $127.83
Hurricane liquor: $675.32
Diesel fuel for Genset: $18.00
Eating in restaraunts during the storms because we were too bored to cook: $112.53
Watching the first cold front blow into D town this am @ 36 degrees: PRICELESS :D :D

D town? you talkin good ole detroit? cause my thermometer said a saltry 26 F this morning :) the ole defroster got used for the first time since like march... had to clean bugs and dust up on the dashboard :biggrin:

Walt. H.
10-06-2004, 12:22 AM
pissssst, hey Jamie,

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Thats "Sultry" 26 F this morning :chillpill :wavey:

Rootsy
10-06-2004, 11:47 AM
hey Walt... that's PSSSSSST...

and i'm an engineer not a friggin english teacher... if you can decipher it... good enough for me eh. oh crap i just broke about 234 rules of grammar i think... :eek: but i can still solve Diff Eq's and fun crap like that ;)

JR

pissssst, hey Jamie,

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Thats "Sultry" 26 F this morning :chillpill :wavey:

Walt. H.
10-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Easy now,
Back away from that coffee pot slowly! Don't get your panties wound up, i'm just a guy that turned screws for a living too/to/two/also.yeah :wrench: :bonk:

Just returning some fun, :biggrin.:

Walt

ToonaFish
10-06-2004, 03:48 PM
2 days from out from behind your plywood cacoons and you're busting our chops about the weather :rolleyes: :stan:

Perhaps a little move is in order?

marcdups
10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
well I pulled one head off and #1 exhaust valve looked somewhat tuliped and so did #5, took it to the machine shop and they want both heads as they submit that the gaskets were about to fail, wish i had a camera but it does make sense when they pulled the gasket off, now my delima is that I have a set of vortec heads for the engine but it seems like the intake I have it for a holly carb and is aluminium, can any one come up with a # for an intake vortec that is cast iron as we sometimes run OFF shore, help I wanna run this week end, thanks, Towel Boy