PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch not working 22C?

Trueser
10-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Previous owner ran a wire from the ign swith to the coil. Bypassing the kill switch. And with lake Michigan I would like to have her hooked up again.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 22?

MOP
10-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Don't know what you have but the simplest one to install is the whats called Normally Closed. It goes between the ignition switch and the coil supply going aft, when you pull it off it breaks the circuit.

Phil

Trueser
10-06-2004, 01:12 PM
I was looking for a better solution than that. I guess I have to trace it down and find the problem.

I was hoping that someone could come up with a diagram. And tell me how the ign connects thru the kill switch/alarm and back to the coil.

Thanks

MOP
10-06-2004, 01:31 PM
It looks like you want to use the existing switch, OK get an OHM meter find the leads and check to see if it is OK. It may have been by passed because it died! If you find it works OK, what color are the wires? If purple you are home free, cut the wire from the dash to the coil and connect the switch in between.

If it has multi colored wires green, white, black it is a coil grounding type. You would have to hunt up the wires he cut and re-connect them, an easier solution is to buy the late type that breaks the ignition circuit near the key.

Phil

Formula Jr
10-06-2004, 01:40 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=373&highlight=Kill+switch

A kill switch alarm would suggest that you have a normally open system that powers the alarm once closed to ground. Theres two systems. One normally open and one normally closed. There is opinion as to which is the best and safest system. You might want to just go with a normally closed system and bypass the alarm. As Phil suggests.

If you want the alarm with grounding the coil then you will want a normally open circuit. With out the alarm you can use a normally closed circuit. Do you want the alarm or not? And does your Kill switch right now break a circuit or close a circuit? I wouldn't want the alarm in series since that can be a weak link if its a normal open circuit system unless its a parallel loop on that curcuit. Theres four diagrams I can give ya depending on what you want.

1. Straight closed system IGN in series with + coil.
2. Straight closed system IGN in series with + coil, powering a hold open rely that powers the alarm from another powered circuit.
3. Straight open system with out alarm.
4. Straight open system with alarm in series.
5. Straight open system with alarm on loop.

What switch are you using? Is it part of a Throttle/Shift housing or remote?

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A WORKING KILL SWITCH and USE IT!!!!!
Okay..... that was soap boxing.........

Trueser
10-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Thank jr.
I found the problem. The wire was smashed between the hull and bulkhead. Along with a few more wires.

I will repair when removing the deck.