PDA

View Full Version : Texas Road Trip out of Houston ??

sanleonkid
10-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Ok, I have the donzi and it is only a 16. After one short afternoon on Lake Lewisville to check out the boat last weekend I beleive I am going to have to shift my paradigm about SaltWater boating. I had only been on a Lake one other time her in Texas in my 41 years. Actualy I kinda liked it.... surprise. It has also been 15 years since I have had a trailerable boat that allowed me to be a bit more mobile. Anyway, with there only being a handful of weekends left in the season I want to make the best of it I have been at the Del Lago resort in Conroe for retreats but never boated. For a first couple of close to Houston trips, is there another better lake within 2 - 2 1/2 hours that offer the same or close accomodations and other recreational activities. All suggestions accepted.... I just wish I lived closer to Dallas ..... that Lewisville Lake looked great ! !

Thansk.

TMANN
10-01-2004, 10:35 AM
There is always Lake Travis. Its only about 2.5 hours away. We love it and you can find plenty of places to stay with boat slips. One place is the White Cliffs. JimG told us about them and we stayed there a couple of weeks ago. It was great. Anyways just an Idea.

TMANN

harbormaster
10-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Biskit(Sig Emerson) likes to take his 18 to lake Somerville outside of Brenham.
He lives 15 minutes awayfrom the lake and is always looking for someone to boat with.

txtaz
10-01-2004, 04:25 PM
We like Canyon Lake and Lake Medina outside of San Antonio because they are close. Let us know if you plan on coming, we can meet up with you and bring another Donzi nut.
Wes

sanleonkid
10-17-2004, 11:38 PM
We took the boat up tp Lake Conroe and stayed at Del Lago. Although the winds were 15+ all weekend the water was fairly calm along the finger that Del Lago is located on. Anyone know of places to boat to on the lake other than Papa's??

Team Jefe
10-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Jeff, I think Livingston is a much nicer lake than "Corn-row" for the smaller boats. Its bigger so not as much wave action bouncing off the shoreline

Just watch out for the stumps...get a map and talk to a the guy at the marina to find the no-go areas....really it should be easy, just look for the Damned Bass Boats.

On Conroe, Papa's is the place, but it can be...humbling...to show up in a 16 footer with all the big boats around.

marcdups
12-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't listen to Jefe as a 16 DONZI is as great and cool as any other boat, as long as you are !!! :eek:

sanleonkid
12-01-2004, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't listen to Jefe as a 16 DONZI is as great and cool as any other boat, as long as you are !!! :eek:
Thanks ... 'cause anyway... "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and by God people like me"(stolen from old SNL skit.

txtaz
12-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Jeff, Bring your 16 to San Antonio, no stumps, 22 mile lake, 4 star resturaunt and a killer dive place, new house you can crash at (when the new furniture gets in). We will be glad to break out the parkas to do a cruise with you guys. Also the 18 is beggin to get out of the store room (hymm, maybe it's me). Plus it would be good for the boats to be run (note to self, sounds like justification). Hey your coming from Houston, maybe you coud pick up the new bedroom set in Passadena. Just kidding.
Let us know.
Wes

Richard Rees
12-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Wes, I was thinking about going to lake amistad some warm week-end? any thoughts?

sanleonkid
12-01-2004, 11:22 PM
I pass through Pasadena to pick up my boat on the way to Sanleon... I was lookin through some of the posted pics.... which lake in Texas has the sheer cliffs and cleqn blue water? The pics did not have descriptions other than Texas.

gcarter
12-02-2004, 06:23 AM
Richard, Amistad is making a comeback. I was there last year and the water has come up significantly, probably still 20'-25' down. But there should be good Mexican food.

SanLeon, probably Canyon. I used to dive there a lot. Fifteen feet down the visibility is 50' or more. Also there are cliffs there. I was diving one time along the cliffs near the dam and saw an old fart valiantly fishing although I didn't see a single fish from my vantage point of being in the water. So I decided to give him a thrill and found his line, grabbed it and swam off as fast as I could. That old guy is probably still telling that story! :umbrella: :biggrin:

Richard Rees
12-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Lake Amistad is 4 feet from being full,first time on over 10 years. yea.

Team Jefe
12-02-2004, 08:48 AM

Hey, I got nothin' but love for the 16, All I'm saying is showing up in a 16 with 38' Cig Top Guns. 42' Cig tigers, 30' Donzi ZF's :biggrin.: and a host of other Who's Who of big ass go fast boats (not including the Baja's)....

...well can be a little humbling.

txtaz
12-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Richard, Sounds fun to me. Lake Amistad should not be that far of a run from SA. Give us a few weeks, someone is anxious to get into HER new house. I have a feeling I will be sleeping on an air matress this weekend.
We are keeping the boat in Boerne until I can modify the drive way pad for the boat so we will need to head back here and then south to Amistad. I will give you a call when we settle in.
Wes

Last Tango
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
"it is only a 16"

Ain't not such thing as ONLY a 16. It's a DONZI. Size may matter, but when it is a DONZI it matters far less.
But you are correct to be enjoying the lakes more than the Gulf. Come to any Florida, Georgia, Alabama SEADOG event and you'll have plenty of fresh cool water to run in.
:beer:

boldts
12-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Only got one thing to say about size of Donzi. Took my 18 Classic to the Lake Cumberland Poker Run a few years back. There were more people looking and asking questions about my Donzi than any of the other go fast boats there! I found it hard to believe has my tongue was still dragging from looking at the Cigs, Sonics, Fountains and other go fasts with big engines.

Like the Seadog Supreme Ruler said. If your in a Donzi, it doesn't matter how big or small it is. Donzi is respected by everyone.

Bring that TX roadtrip to Lake Cumberland in Kentucky next May to the Awakening of the Horses Donzi gathering. Lots of fresh water and calm coves to let the horses run.