PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Sunbrella

Cuda
09-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Any suggestions on what to use to clean it? My cover on the Formula has streaks where the water coming off the garage during the hurricanes ran down it. It's from the leaves.

MOP
10-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Cuda leaves are a pain, leaves from many trees were used as the base for dyes, if the cover has a dyed color you need to soak several hours to over night it in "cool" water with a Ivory liquid and Clorox bleach for "COLORS" marked on with mild agitation ( every so often give it a good squish) . I got this from my sail maker this AM, he said two cups soap one cup Clorox should be enough for a bath tub mix. Put soap and bleach in water first swoosh around to mix well then put canvas in. Good Luck hope this helps!

Phil

Cuda
10-01-2004, 05:00 PM
My bath tub is not big enough. I was looking for something to spray or brush on.

RedDog
10-04-2004, 07:53 AM
My full cover (not sunbrella) was covered with tree sap. This weekend I mixed up a bucket of boat wash with 1/2 pound of swimming pool shock (high clorine percentage). I used a long handle brush and it cleaned up pretty well.

mattyboy
10-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Red,
becareful with chlorine or bleach it eats away at the stitching

Cuda
10-04-2004, 08:39 AM
I cleaned it yesterday with some liquid All laundry detergent. Came out pretty clean. Now I want to get some protectant to put on it.

knots2u
10-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Verbatim from the Sunbrella brochure:

Sunbrella fabric should be cleaned regulary before substances such as dirt, roof particles, etc. are allowed to accumulate on and become imbedded in the fabric. The fabric can be cleaned without being removed from the installation. Simply brush off any loose dirt, roof particles, etc.; hose down and clean with a mild solution of natural soap in lukewarm water (no more than 100 degrees F) Rinse thoroughly to remove soap. DO NOT USE DETERGENTS. Allow to air dry.
For more stubborn cases: soak the fabric for approximately twenty minutes in a solution of no more than 1/2 cup (4 oz.) of a non-chlorine bleach and 1/4 cup (2 oz.) natural soap per gallon of water at approximately 100 deg F. Rinse thoroughly in cold water to remove all of the soap. Note: excessive soaking in non-chlorine bleach can deteriorate sewing threads. This method of cleaning may remove part of the water repellency and the fabric should receive an application of an air curing flourocarbon water repellent treatment, such as 303 Hi Tech Fabric Guard, if water repellency is a factor.
Sunbrella is made from 100% solution dyed acrylic fiber which is thermoplastic. DO NOT SUBJECT TO EXCESSIVE HEAT. When Sunbrella fabric is stored, it should be cleaned, allowed to air dry and stored in a dry, well ventilated area.