PDA

View Full Version : 86 Hornet III offered by Moron on Ebay

Fish boy
09-30-2004, 11:24 AM
came across this today on Ebay. 1986 Donzi Hormet III (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2491300336&fromMakeTrack=true) It has nice gaffrig gauges. Apparently this onewas a " special edition; from the original Donzi company before bankruptcy." WTF??!!

Even though the history of donzi ownership is a little confused on some websites, I am positive that donzi was extremely well funded and very profitable during this period and never contemplated bankruptcy.

ChromeGorilla
09-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Looks like it may be sittin in front of the Pantera factory to me...

Walt. H.
09-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Hummmmmmm?

Before they went out of business, but tells you to check out the Donzi web-site. What duh F****? :embarasse
Also $20,000.00 worth of improvements but it has as he listed:
"No engine, no outdrive and no stabilizers included" even though the outdrive and stabilizers are pictured. :bonk:

Sounds like :toiletpap :toiletpap

Walt. H.
09-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Is the punch line regarding:

Donzi Outta Biz
the money spent
or
Why the big eng, was never used

We curious mines now wanna know :yes: :idea:

Last Tango
09-30-2004, 12:12 PM
The new 22 Classic posted elsewhere shares a LOT of details with this boat. Not being an expert on Hornet III's I can't say anything about it originality. But the Seats and the opaque windshield look pretty familiar after seeing the New 22.

rchevelle71
09-30-2004, 12:19 PM
This boat was owned at some point by a friend or relative of Jo at Pantera, and he was selling it for them a while back, Not sure who has it now, but I also noticed it is worded a little strange.

Fish boy
09-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Hummmmmmm?

Before they went out of business, but tells you to check out the Donzi web-site. What duh F****? :embarasse
Also $20,000.00 worth of improvements but it has as he listed:
"No engine, no outdrive and no stabilizers included" even though the outdrive and stabilizers are pictured. :bonk:

Sounds like :toiletpap :toiletpap

Must have deleted the section that noted 19,000.00 worth of improvements removed before posting on ebay.

Tango, here are a couple of pics from the 1986 Donzi Brochure showing the Hornet III the way it came from the factory.

Lenny
09-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Fish, those brochure pics you posted ARE (well probably not his personal one) Daves' boat in Seattle that he picked up.

Having seen his, I can say it is a beautiful original boat.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell256.jpg

MOP
09-30-2004, 08:46 PM
just for giggles I typed in the URL from the side of the boat, the guy is a skin care flim flam man.

What are the differences between a Hornet and a 22C look the same in pics except for dash and windshield deflectors.

Phil

Last Tango
09-30-2004, 09:28 PM
I really like the original pictures and the original boat, but I'm not all that unhappy with what I see on this Ebait boat either. The 22 Classic is visually much sleeker through the hull. I have been aboard a couple Hornets and they seem to have more... girth. And they are chubbier around the bow section. Mind you, I'm not against chubby. 22 Classics play in the NBA. Hornets play in the NFL. I have not previously seen the painted windshield thing done on a Hornet, but it has a nice look about it. Usually one sees a clear or tinted windshield (but the baddest looking one I have seen has NO windshield).
Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
To me, Hornets lend themselves nicely to being hotrodded with custom interiors and BIG BLOWN CHROME SLATHERED ENGINES with lots of chrome and then some more chrome in the engine area and tabs and trim. Every one I have seen personally had CHROME and I liked it. The fact that the Ebait boat has no engine or drive or trim tabs is actually a GOOD thing as far as I'm concerned. Then I can put in my own "BLOWN HEMI" or something along that line, and a Six Drive to keep it moving through the water. Turned up individual header pipes (chrome) and a nasty cam driven idle so around the docks it sounds like a Top Fuel Dragster coming to the line.
Yeah, the add may leave a lot to be desires in terms of knowlege and reality, but the boat itself is a sweet '32 Deuce.

RedDog
09-30-2004, 09:58 PM
...22 Classics play in the NBA...

Mark - you didn't have to go and get nasty :nuke:

Last Tango
10-01-2004, 10:10 AM
I was simply referring to the average NBA player as long (tall) and thin, while the NFL players are built up with a lot more muscle bulk. Both are commensurate athletes - built for differnet purposes. I would actually seriously consider taking a Hornet out on the big ocean, whereas I might not do that with a 22 Classic (this is my totally personal opinion - no attacks, 22 owners - I LOVE your boat and I'm SURE you have used it in big salty water to great success).
In case anyone misinterpreted my words and thought I was being sarcastic about the chrome thing, please read this quote which was in my post. Every one I have seen personally had CHROME and I liked it.To further clarify, I think Hornets are totally COOL, I would enjoy owning one, and I think they literally beg to get the full tilt boogie hot rod treatment. I like stock and mildly modified Classics, but I think the Hornet is the '50 Mercury of the the Donzi family in terms of potential to be customized and hot rodded. And a look in the engine compartment of MY Classic 18 will be proof enough that I subscribe to the theory that you can never have too much chrome on an engine. :cool!:

PS I think someone from this board should bid on that boat and take it away from the current owner and make it the cool thing that it is. I wish I had the cash right now to do it myself. Hey, TED! Don't you need a new project?

Formula Jr
10-01-2004, 05:08 PM
The hulls of the Hornets were very different animals from the 22C.
The deadrise is 19 degrees at the transom instead of 24. If you look very closely at the shape of the hull you'll note that they are closer to a traditional semi-Vee configuration than a straight Vee design. Straight Vees carry the 24 degree deadrise right up till the bow starts to become sharper in angle. The Hornets start out very sharp at the bow and then continously flatten out through out the length till you get to 19 degrees at the transom. Hornets also have a rather traditional bow flair and so the bow deck is more rounded than a 22C. From the side you'll note that Hornets have a tiny bit more negative shear than 22s. So the 22 is like a scaled up 18 while the Hornet is like a micro version of a sportfisherman.