PDA

View Full Version : Classic 16/18 Hull design

hyperlite98
09-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I have searched around the forum, and found some posts on how the 18 hull design was changed slightly in the late 60's. Does anyone know if the 16 hull had been changed at all since the first one rolled out of the boat yard? Also I have heard many arguments around where I am that the early-mid 60's 18 hull design is superior in rough water? can anyone confirm this?? or even know why the change?

thanks,

Jeff

Rootsy
09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
From speaking with bertram boy about his EARLY 16 and my 1997 16... there are distinct differences. Beam, Length, Etc Etc... apparently from what i have gathered is that OMC aquired a 16 after they bougth Donzi in the late 80;s... they then made a mold from this boat... apparently this boat was kind of hacked up ro what not to begin with...

maybe someone with more knowledge can clarify for me...

as far as the 18l... you have the triple hatch "barrelback" which ran somewhere into 67.. then went to single hatch and production changed again in mid 68 to what we have now... the bottom design for all barrelbacks was roughly the same i believe with a sharp V keel and 2 full length strakes. Once the barrelback design was stopped and new begun the rounded keel and shortened inner strakes took over. from what i have gathered... some hulls are titled as later years though...

again those with more knowledge can elaborate much better than I...

JR