PDA

View Full Version : Live aboard regulations in your State?

Formula Jr
09-29-2004, 03:50 PM
One of my lifetime dreams was to end up living ON the water in a boat full time. After some investigating, I found out that Washington State - the prefered destination - recently got a bug up its collective DNR pencil pushing arses and declared ALL live aboards a misuse of public property. DNR sent out eviction notices to all those house boats on Lake Union and is requiring marinas to include "no live aboard" clauses to their moorage contracts. As far as I can tell the evictions are being stayed till a counter suit works its way through the courts.

Is this a national trend? What are the restricts in your area, if any?
Owen.

EricG
09-29-2004, 03:58 PM
WTF? :kaioken:

I don't get it. I knew they cracked down on "house barges" a few years ago, but I have not heard anything about getting rid of ALL liveaboards up here. I know several folks that liveaboard in Washington State, including my brother...this could be bad.

Time to start doing research...

-EG

Formula Jr
09-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Sorry, appearently I jumped the gun. Seems there is still a way to do this, but now it is tightly regulated.
First link is the WAC proposed language,
Next was the impact study. Still looking for final language
and a summary of some sort.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/htdocs/aqr/residentaluse/sept13feis/appdxa2.htm

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/htdocs/aqr/residentaluse/july3sbeis.htm

I'll add more as I find them. And figure out the legalize.

Digger
09-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Owen I have followed this anti-liveaboard phenomena for some time now. When I moved back East in 99 my plan was to live aboard a trawler. (I bought a 33ZX instead.... hmmm go figure) There is varying momentum in several states to ban liveaboards at public marinas, mostly due to ignorance and greed IMHO. Seemed to be a predominately West coast initiative. Not a good thing by any measure.

Fish boy
09-29-2004, 06:55 PM
it must be fun... otherwise, why would they try to outlaw it? ;)

Still allowed down here in the plywood state.

Lenny
09-30-2004, 12:44 AM
You can pretty much do it anywhere here too Owen.

boxy
09-30-2004, 07:52 AM
You can pretty much do it anywhere here too Owen.

Here too, but living in a freezer 6 months of the year sort of sucks ..... :kyle: :cussball: :stan:

Morgan's Cloud
09-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Out here the only restriction used to be that if you lived on a boat you were in inelligible to own a car.
However, as a place that has more uninforced laws and legislation on the books than most any other part of the world this is not observed any more it seems.

Like Fish said ... it must be fun ....

S

MOP
09-30-2004, 09:32 AM
So far it has been regulated town by town not NY state, we lost Riverhead over the summer but with a Grand Father Clause. Continue to stay aboard but when sold it must leave the area, at Treasure Cove a local marina an owner had a near sale but lost it and is staying on wanted to go to dry land. Seems like the only way to live aboard in the future will be retired and keep on the move.

McGary911
09-30-2004, 01:07 PM
About 2 years ago, I gave some thought to moving to Grand Cayman and going to law school down there. I'd buy a older 40-50 footer, and live at a pier right on the island, just down the road from Hell (really, a town on GC). I must have had a ton of beers in me that night :beer: Funny tho, it still sounds like a fun idea....

BUIZILLA
09-30-2004, 01:37 PM
McGary, Hell doesn't exist anymore..

www.davidolson.com

MOP
09-30-2004, 08:54 PM
I still have my Hell T shirt, that place is solid coral it could not have washed away!

BUIZILLA
09-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Phil, let me put it this way... GC was OFF the radar screen for about 3 hours during the storm, due to being mostly submerged...