PDA

View Full Version : salvage boats and Florida.

Formula Jr
09-28-2004, 10:31 PM
In the near future we will be seeing many totaled claims coming on to the market from what has happened in Florida. You are going to see what look like good, and in many cases unreal deals.
I would like to warn people to temper their enthusiasm when these come up for bids or through private sales.

To make a reasoned judgement, you will need to know exactly what happen to that boat and how long its been in "purgatory" while the claim was figured out. If they got to it fast, or if it was a simple fresh water sink that was quickly flushed and dried there might be a deal there, but if it rolled around on a beach or something there's going to be more wrong with that boat than you ever imagined. It might look good, but EVERY thing is going to be trashed to some degree. And there is a high likely hood you will pay more in its restoration than you might in just finding a good used boat. I'm just say'en.....be smart and reserved if you're look'en foreward to the glut.

harbormaster
09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
I purchased a 31 scarab viper that sank.
The hull damage was repaired under my supervision.
Final cost for boat and repairs 15k.

The engines were pickled BUT had high hours.
The only thing reusable on the engines were the blocks, cranks, rods, one intake manifold, and one pair of heads. Everything else was replaced. Machining and parts 7k

instrumentation/switched were shot. final cost for "used" gaffrig gauges and switches/indicators 650.00

Outdrives - the lower units needed skeg work. While in them I am replacing the bearings and seals. The transom assemblies had some damage. I will also be replacing bellows gaskets and seals.
estimated cost 2k

2k for misc upholstery and odds and ends.

Total 266600.00.

Thats not bad for a 31' go fast boat with new engines but it involved a helluva lot of sweat equity.

So think long and hard about a salvage boat. They can be a diamond in the rough and a fun project. But thet can be alot more work than one that is running and ready to take out.

When this one is finished I will buy a running 22 Classic.

Jamesbon
09-29-2004, 10:16 AM
I can't wait to see what becomes available. A "do it yourselfer's" dream.

We've had a couple dealers offer us some salvage boats...but we didn't take any.

Fish boy
09-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Humm... I have one is someone is looking for a project. Was in high and dry during all the storms so no damge there, but sunk several years ago, raised and cleaned up. Just been sitting in high and dry under cover since. Sank about 8 years ago. Engines supposedly pickled, but checked it out a few months ago and I would not count on them. Any parts that can be salvaged would be a bonus. Best way to look at this is a beautiful hull (Cannot find engine hatches, might be at the shop that pickled, I will check). Everything else it has should be considered as a bonus, but if I had the time to redo it myself I would replace interior, motors, outdrives, gauges, wires etc., sort of like HM did (see above). Like I said, it will not need all of these things, but it is a good way to look at it when deciding if you want this project. Anyone who has seen Donzigo's boat knows what an awesome ride this is!!!

$11,500.00 OBO

Fish

PS has Mercruiser/TRS package.