PDA

View Full Version : trailers?

Moody Blu'
09-28-2004, 09:35 PM
I was suppose to go out west to glamis sand dunes and ride for 10 days. that fell through and was gonna cost me about 2 large. now I figured i should put that cash towards soemthing better spent. I need a trailer for my 18' classic. I dont want to spend a arm and a leg. i think i should get a tandem axle right? What is out there for $2000 i run my boat in salt water should it matter what type of metal the trailer is built with?whats a good brand? I'm thinking the rolls is out of my price range? I could be wrong? I definately want a bunk trailer.

Anyone know of a good trailer for sale?

thanks for any suggestions in advance

RickR
09-29-2004, 06:11 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36632

GKricheldorf
09-29-2004, 01:00 PM
To bad you can't make it to Glamis. It is a fun place, but very crazy. Actually it has been getting worse over the years. More and more people kill themselves. I used to go out there religously when i had my 3-wheeler. Now only once in a while for the day. I'll see if i can dig up some old pics and post them

CMC
09-29-2004, 07:45 PM
You really only need a single axle, but you do want galvanized,:cool: :cool: ask for galv. U bolts also. Try Camp Marine in Point Pleasant. They sell 2 or 3 brands. Also try and find a Tidewater Dealer near you. They are a new company that puts out a good product. Good Luck:cool:

GKricheldorf
09-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Here is a link to check out some pictures of glamis - you'll need to register, but it is free

http://www.dunebuggy.com/community/photogallery.shtm

Team Jefe
09-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Moody - check out the thread linked earlier.

JimG has the right set up for an 18. Single axle aluminum with big tires. Really, that is the key. Trailer manuf. want to put more axles with less load cap per axle. I have never understood why. Sure it looks cool and there is a small saftey advantage in a blowout, but those are not real good reasons.

Aluminum is the key, No steel and No Galvanized. too much weight and will not last. Don't even get Galvanized hardware. I have it on mine and is needs replacing after only 3 seasons. Go Stainless all the way.

Also, Disc brakes...don't even contimplate drums. Of course you may not even need brakes for an 18

If you don't go with Rolls, and you Have to have a tandem, be wary of Torsion axles. They are really nice and corrosion resistent, by they do not share load like a Spring trailer, so you could easily put all the load on one tire in turns, curves, any thing that in not stright ahead driving....AND if the load is not perfectly level. meaning your hitch is higher or lower than level. Food for thought.

I run an Aluminum Loadmaster. it is 3 years old and has about 25,000 miles on it. Tandem for a 30ZF. NOT triple. I retrofit with 285/70/16 LT so there is plenty of capacity. the trailer has always been great, but blew tires like crazy. Since the change, there have been NO problems.

Well except for the fact that it now floats.

BUIZILLA
09-30-2004, 01:33 PM
the right set up for an 18. Single axle aluminum with big tires. Really, that is the key.that's exactly like my new 18 trailer is, and I couldn't be happier. tow's like a dream.

JH

donzi182003
09-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Loadmaster Trailer With Aluminum Beams And Stainless Hardware Is The Way To Go.have Had It On Many Boats And Their Product Is Excellent. I Have Been To Their Factory To Personally Pick It Up And Seen The Way They Build Them. Very Nice! But You Do Want Aluminum Or Galvanized. Do Not Get A Steel Trailer For Saltwater Use.

Cuda
09-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Look at my thread with the full cover for the Minx. That trailer is really overkill for the Minx, but I had boughten it for my other Formula. It's a tandem axle aluminum with a 5200# capacity. No torsion axles (though I wish I had bought them), and no brakes. I paid $1700 for it a couple years ago.