PDA

View Full Version : Volvo short hub and long hub question...

Lenny
09-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Short of some of the upcoming offerings by Mattyboy and Ken, is there an aftermarket "washer" or something to accomodate a long hub on a short hub drive?

It is obvious to see that the lock tab is not going to hit the splines on the drive shaft but any double locknut system would work wouldn't it?

I really want to get my 24 RH Ultra on and have it stay there. I can't imagine that you would move forward very fast if it left the drive and went to join my cell phone :rolleyes:

kjly63
09-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Lenny,

Matty has a custom made threaded spacer he uses with his spinneli prop. I also used it on my Ultra. :lookaroun The one he has is made of aluminum and tightens down with a homemade socket with 2 tits on the end.
I know someone who machines parts and said he could make new ones out of Stainless with a better tool. :propeller

He usually charges a 30 pack for his work :beer: . I'll see how many of them I can get made up.........what's nice about this is that long hub/short hub no longer matters.
:outtahere
Kenny

Lenny
09-28-2004, 09:39 AM
I want a couple !!!

One 60 pack when you are ready. :D

BigGrizzly
09-29-2004, 07:41 PM
The long hub refers to the cone or spinner nut the lohg hub will fir on the short hub prop shaft with the long hub spinner I used to often chanf from one to the other. The late model spinner has an adapter to use either The long hub has a set screw in the middle of the shaft it is a 5/16 allen in stainles. Lenny is your drive right or left? Ask David O how my SS Volvo props work. We had a great weekend in the 18 last weekend. Just read your other post I would stay left hand and put the long hub on your unit and dril and tap the shaft= it is easy this is what i did to my 18,s 270 and the 16 200 drive

Lenny
09-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Grizz, the Ultra I have is a 24"P RIGHT HAND one so I will change over the linkage and at least try it and run it like that until I find a lefty.

I was quoted today 2 hours to remove the shaft from drive, through it into a lathe, bore and tap it and put it back together. How does that sound? for price I mean. ($72 an hour here at Volvo (licensed guy) He told me not to do it with a hand drill and hand tap. He says it should be straight, and the stainless threaded properly. ???

A buck and a half for the thread job. I think it is ok-ish.

penbroke
09-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Easy to do on the drive. The cone can be used as a visual guide for allignment to start. Use good tools and lots of lubrication.

Frank

MOP
09-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Just a tip when drilling hard metal it is a good idea to use "Real cutting oil or in a pinch kerosene" you want cooling without lubrication. Using lubricating oils slows cutting and shortens bit life. Do the drilling with the drive in the up position so you can keep the hole full of oil.

Phil