PDA

View Full Version : Hurrican sunk neighbor's boat

Cuda
09-27-2004, 09:44 PM
My neighbor had his boat in a wet slip on a lake off the St John's River. It's a 25 or 26 foot Chris Craft Catalina. He went to check on it Saturday, and it was down. Deb and I rode back there to see if we could figure some way to get it out of the water. The wind was still blowing about 50, and the waves were rolling over the boat, so we couldn't really tell much. I figure if we can get it to float off the bottom at all, we can tow it around the end of the pier, and get it to the boat launch as high as we can and begin pumping water out of it, then pull it up some more, until we get it emptied.

We just moved here three months ago, and this neighbor is the best neighbor you could wish for, and I'd like to help him out.

Of course, he has no insurance on it.

His boat is stern to the dock at the red arrow right in front of the bow of the boat that has the bow facing the camera.

The other picture, the red arrow is where his boat is, and the yellow arrow is the slide from his dad's sunken houseboat.

txtaz
09-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Cuda, We have had several boats raised that were in boat slips. I could not tell if that boat was tied to the side or on four pilings, but it is always better to get the gunnals above water and then start pumping before you move it. Everything we have seen raised was in a boat slip at our marina. I'm no expert but that's how they did it. It makes sense to me, water is heavy. Good luck helping your friend.
Wes

TMANN
09-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Cuda,

Wow those pictures are bad... Wish I was there to help you out. I hope you have all the luck you need and be safe...

TMANN

BUIZILLA
09-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Why Did It Sink?
Hull Damage?
All The Pumps In The World Ain't Gonna Overcome A 6" Hole In The Bottom....

Cuda
09-28-2004, 07:04 AM
It was still too nasty to ascertain what caused it to sink. There was tin still flopping on the marina cover in the high winds, so I didn't feel comfortable standing out there for long. The boat rode out Frances in the same spot. I'm thinking the boat got caught under the dock with the rising water and swamped it. We might get a chance to check it out better today.

Formula Jr
09-28-2004, 07:40 AM
That looks really bad Cuda. My sympathies to the owner with out insurance. All the boats I have seen raised were either in slips or were moved to intact slips where you could sling them with come-alongs to stablize the boat and get the gunnels at least to just above water level. Then pump. What ever you do, DO NOT get in the water near any of those boats. Maybe if its dead calm and you are extremely careful. But even then the boat could roll or other wise crush you with the slightest movement.

boldts
09-28-2004, 08:34 AM
No expert here for sure, but could some type of inner tube be used and then filled with air to at least get her up off the bottom or would that put to much strain on the hull/deck seam? That way at least then you could get a bigger pump in there to start pumping out the water. Doesn't look good for the v-drive shafts if she's been bouncing on them. At least since it is on a river, you won't have salt water damage?

Best of luck Cuda. We're keeping everyone there in our prayers and sending what-ever help we can.

Fish boy
09-28-2004, 09:00 AM
drag it into shallower water at high tide, make sure the drives or drive shafts wont get hammered, and wait for the tide to go down. once the water is above the gunwales, pump it out and wait for the tide to come back up and float it off the bottom. It is a full moon so the tides are pretty extreme right now.

Not sure the shape of the docks, but if the shallow water thing does not work, might also be able to tie the stern tight to the dock at high tide, wait for the tide to go down and begin pumping as soon as gunwales are above the water. Run risk of busting up the dock or ripping cleats out of oat though, but if you can stay ahead of the tide the weight should be getting less as the boat starts to float.

good luck.

Cuda
09-28-2004, 09:12 AM
drag it into shallower water at high tide, make sure the drives or drive shafts wont get hammered, and wait for the tide to go down. once the water is above the gunwales, pump it out and wait for the tide to come back up and float it off the bottom. It is a full moon so the tides are pretty extreme right now.

Not sure the shape of the docks, but if the shallow water thing does not work, might also be able to tie the stern tight to the dock at high tide, wait for the tide to go down and begin pumping as soon as gunwales are above the water. Run risk of busting up the dock or ripping cleats out of oat though, but if you can stay ahead of the tide the weight should be getting less as the boat starts to float.

good luck.
Fish, it's in the river, there are no tides to work with. The river is going to keep rising until Thursday according to the news. I told him he should keep it sunk until he has a plan to pull the engine and such. I've heard that the engine won't begin to rust until you expose it to air.

I'm thinking the inner tube deal and drag it around to the ramp. We don't need to completely float it to move it. If we can get it off the bottom, I think I can pull it around with my fishboat.

Darrell
09-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Remember this question comes from a guy in land-locked in Oklahoma.

Why, with the warnings days in advance whould you leave your boat of 25' in the water. Is it that people don't have the time or do they not have a trailer or access to one.

Darrell

Five hundred miles from the Gulf.

Buckeye
09-28-2004, 03:26 PM
I have briefly read through everyones replies and have one suggestion to add, before I would tow a water filled boat away from land please consider a quick release system on the tow line, in case the water filled boat finds a deep pocket to settle in, you certainly don't want to loose a second boat. My $.02. Good luck and be safe!

Jeff

Cuda
09-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Remember this question comes from a guy in land-locked in Oklahoma.

Why, with the warnings days in advance whould you leave your boat of 25' in the water. Is it that people don't have the time or do they not have a trailer or access to one.

Darrell

Five hundred miles from the Gulf.

He had no trailer.

Cuda
09-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I have briefly read through everyones replies and have one suggestion to add, before I would tow a water filled boat away from land please consider a quick release system on the tow line, in case the water filled boat finds a deep pocket to settle in, you certainly don't want to loose a second boat. My $.02. Good luck and be safe!

Jeff

Yep, I've already considered that.